584,812 active members*
5,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

plasma profiles

I just finished my plasma cutter this weekend(2'x4'), and now I am looking for something cool to cutout. Does anyone know where I can get some intricate drawings for free? I could use anything that could be imported into acad or corel. I have found some commercial cd's for sale, but they are pretty expensive for just playing around. Thanks

Hi Trevorhinze
    You'll find some drawing files to download in both the Yahoo groups for Plasma Cutting & CNC & Manual Plasma. There are some DXF, PLT, & HPGL located in the FILES sections of these groups. Can you provide details of the mechanics & electronics of your plasma table as well as software you are using? Any info appreciated!
    Thanks WT

Thanks for the help. I am really looking for some motorcycle cutouts, and I think that I am going to have to spend the money to buy some art on cd intended for vinyl cutters, and go from there. My machine is pretty simple, for now the z axis in manually adjusted, though I do need to add a powered z and THC as the budget will allow. I will include some pictures of it partially complete, and I will try to add a picture of the completed machine as it looks a bit diffirent. The basic setup is as follows. 2'x4' travel via stepper motors and timing belts, cam rollers and welded square and rectangular tubing for the rails, and a simple table with slats to support the work. I am using mach2 and sheetcam as far as software is concerned, and the drawing is done in an older version of autocad. I am using an old gateway profile 466mhz computer and linisteppers to get it moving. Thanks again for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plasma 015.JPG   plasma 016.JPG   plasma 018.JPG  

Trevorhinze
    Is your table operating satisfactorily & do you have a picture of it as completed ?
    Were you able to find the drawing files you were looking for?
    WT

Its Working

I did get my table working. It has a few bugs to work out but for the most part it works really well. I had thought that I could get by without a THC, but I have learned that I will need to add one in the future. My manual adjustment on the Z axis works well most of the time, but when it is cutting out something complicated that takes an hour or more I get tired of babysitting the machine, and holding down the metal as it curls up. I bought a cd of motorcycle clipart meant for vinyl cutters off ebay for 50 bucks and it has hundreds of motorcycle designs that I can use. It takes some time to convert them into something useable. The best way I have found so far is to import them into autocad, then I basicially just "trace" around the parts I want to cut out using polylines to define my cut paths, then into Sheetcam, Then Mach2. I will try to tqake some pictures of the completed machine today and get them posted. Thanks for the interest.

Glad your table is working out well for you. I thought the earlier photos you posted showed some good design for the system!
    Your clipart import & "trace" technique would seem to be a good method to use. What format is the clipart in?
    I'll look for the pictures you post.
    Thanks
    WT

Here Are some pictures of my table, as well as a couple pictures of things I have cut out. The clipart files I found for vinyl cutters are in .AI, or .eps format. Let me know what you think.

I guess that I cant post any photos because I took them at high resolution, and I would have to crop them down to a redicuosly small size to be able to post them here, unless someone knows of another way. The photos are only about 900k each, but even after I cropped them way down the site still told me that they were too big. If you would like to photos (7 total) send me an email, or a pm with your email address and I will send them to you.

I'll PM you with my address for you to send the photos.
    Thanks for the info.
    WT

Quote Originally Posted by trevorhinze
    I did get my table working. It has a few bugs to work out but for the most part it works really well. I had thought that I could get by without a THC, but I have learned that I will need to add one in the future. My manual adjustment on the Z axis works well most of the time, but when it is cutting out something complicated that takes an hour or more I get tired of babysitting the machine, and holding down the metal as it curls up. I bought a cd of motorcycle clipart meant for vinyl cutters off ebay for 50 bucks and it has hundreds of motorcycle designs that I can use. It takes some time to convert them into something useable. The best way I have found so far is to import them into autocad, then I basicially just "trace" around the parts I want to cut out using polylines to define my cut paths, then into Sheetcam, Then Mach2. I will try to tqake some pictures of the completed machine today and get them posted. Thanks for the interest.
    Have you used any of the auto trace in Corel?
    If you are just playing it should speed things up for you.

find algolab raster to vector conversion program on the web. it will vectorize any raster photo or file for import into autocad. it does take some tweaking to get it right but the program is awesome. imagine a vectorized photo of grandpa and grandson cut in sheet steel..... then just act! and thank me later.
    "If you dont go there,you will never know there......Thus starts the voyage of discovery." a redneckmacguiverism c(;{

downloaded the algolab software and it seems to be pretty easy to use, however I can't seem to get it to save anything as a .dxf. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if you have to pay the $99.00 to unlock this feature.

trevor, i also have not saved anything in dfx from the program, could it be that the program is saving the file in another location? just a shot in the dark...
    sing out if i hit something....
    "If you dont go there,you will never know there......Thus starts the voyage of discovery." a redneckmacguiverism c(;{

Check out ebay seller ... littlesunshine2000

I think they are like 4 bucks a piece. I saw some motorcycle stuff