585,758 active members*
4,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Information on Strike-CNC please?

Hi all,

I'm very new here and had some difficulty deciding which forum to post this is, so please bear with me. I'm in the UK (Kent) and looking to buy a CNC router. There are some on ebay that are within by budget from a company called Strike-CNC, also from the UK. Does anyone have any experience with those machines or that company? Or just any comments or insights? This is the machine I'm interested in:

3D CNC Router complete system with Kress milling spindle | eBay

Bee

Heya Bee,
    New myself and recently found this company via Ebay as you did. Waiting for website to be re-done for more info.
    If you find out anything please let me know if poss

Regards
    Pete

Hi Pete,

Well in the meanwhile I've taken the plunge and ordered a machine from them, after actually going there (near Gloucester) to take a look at it all. The machine has been delivered and though so far I haven't cut anything (I'm new to this so there's a learning curve with the software for me), I can confidently say this is an excellently engineered machine. Very solid piece of equipment - the photos they post on ebay don't do it justice. Their service is also wonderful. Aparently they are getting a lot of orders and their prices have gone up significantly after Jan 1, but I got mine at the old price. Anyway, highly recommended!

Bee

Hi there Bee

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. Didn't see it for some reason!

Yes, I have experience of Strike CNC! I purchased a machine on eBay a few months ago.
    It was a machine of approx. size - 600mm x 400mm x 50mm machining envelope.

Whilst I would not generally post bad comments, I would advise that you tread carefully with these machines. Michael who sells these is a very nice young guy, who I assume has taken hi hobby further, into producing machines for sale.

On receiving my machine (the eBay service was great!), I found that the build quality was terrible....really terrible. Basically, I have completely rebuilt the machine, adding a host of parts that I made to strengthen and support the various axes. Most of the extrusions and support rails were not bolted correctly and the stepper motor mounts looked like they'd been chewed instead of machined!

However, I found that the price paid was actually not that bad, when used as a basis for a new machine, but you would most definitely need to at leat check the build quality or better still, strip it down completely.

If you need pictures of mine, re-built, just ask.

I have added a Kress Automatic Tool-changer, Tool-length sensor, vacuum table and spoil board, revised Y gantry stabilisers, XY and Z limit switches and completely new controller cabinet.

Hope this helps?

Keith

Strike CNC

It seems that I have upset the 'apple cart' so to speak.

I have been advised by person I purchased my machine from last year is not Strike CNC! Not exactly what I see, as the only change in the last few months is a change of name. The eBay listing, photos and even the item's description is exactly the same as it was when I purchased.

I am entitled to my comments, whether negative or not. I did stress that any potential buyer should "tread carefully" and check the quality. The vendor has advised that the quality is superior to the one I have.

I note the comments of 'Bee' and hope very much that he (and anybody else) has purchased a quality machine.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Okay, well, this is a bit complicated, then. I can really only say that the machine I received is excellent. I went down to where they make them to see the sample machines and was impressed - they look better in life than on the ebay photos. So I ordered a bigger one that cuts roughly 70 x 140 cm. And it's really solid and sturdy - I'm very happy with it. Good thing too, because I don't know how I'd have survived through an experience like yours: I know little about the engineering behind it, much less the electronics, so I wouldn't have been able to re-build a machine the way you did. It sounds like you've really added a lot of features to it and so, yes, I'd love to see photos of your machine! Specifically I'd like to see how you fitted your limit switches because that could be a useful addition.

Best regards,
    Bee

Finally from me, on this subject.....

The vendor who sold me the CNC machine that I made reference to has advised that it is in no way linked to Strike CNC, currently found on eBay?

Keith

An addition to this thread. I have my own experience with Strike CNC detailed in this thread here:

Strike CNC (My first CNC router)

If you can't be bothered to read that long thread then I'll summarise quickly:

I had a number of issues. First off were the delays and when the machine did eventually arrive a month late there were poor build choices and evidence of petty cost cutting. The worst of this meant the z axis had quite a bit of play but there were a couple of other smaller issues too that impacted accuracy. Strike quickly offered to fix the issues by replacing the gantry section and the ballscrews but with one snag - I had to return the original gantry, wait for them to build another and then collect it. I worked out courier prices and the only reasonably priced option was me doing the fetching and carrying. What did this mean? Two 300 mile trips at my expense! That's a total of nearly 600 miles worth of fuel and 10 hours travelling! On top of that it took another month for the replacement gantry.

There are happy Strike CNC customers out there but for me it was a very stressful and expensive experience that I wouldn't want to go through again.

Michael who runs the place is a really nice lad but I think he takes on too much work at times and the build quality suffers. I looked around some of his demo machines and they were fine so clearly he knows how to build these things correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by krsykes23 View Post
    Finally from me, on this subject.....

The vendor who sold me the CNC machine that I made reference to has advised that it is in no way linked to Strike CNC, currently found on eBay?

Keith
    The person you describe, a young guy called Michael, is exactly the same person I've dealt with at Strike CNC. I have little doubt your machine comes from the same stock regardless of branding.