585,712 active members*
3,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > VFD/master motor / Tonkin - L350

Question VFD/master motor / Tonkin - L350

I have a Moak 32" band saw from 1949 with a Master Motor (3hp/3ph - 575rpm,13.7 amp) I am using a Yaskawa 19.5 amp output VFD to run the motor (230 single phase in) . I was concerned about the age of the motor and the rep recommended a noise filter, the Tonkin-L350 .
    I have only used the saw 2 or 3 times and everything was fine. Well I am in the process of completing a restoration on her and I took of the rubber tires and wanted to clean off all the old glue. I ran the VFD at 3 for the frequency to run it slow so I could scrape all the gue off with a steel chisel.
    I noticed this funny electrical smell, couldn't figure out were it was coming from then I put my hand on the Tonkin and nearly burned my hand. There was some clear liquid coming out of the top, very little,a few drips so I imediatly shut it off.
    Mu question is, why would it heat up like that and do I really need the Tonkin -L350 noise filter? I took it off the machine and ran it directly from the VFD to the Master motor with no issues running it at 3f but I only ran it for a few miniuts but the motor was still cold, not even warm.....
    Is it really necessary to have this filter in there? I was just concerned because of the age of the motor.

Any thoughts about this, what exactly is the L350 doing to heat up like that and what was the clear liquid coming out? Do I really need the filter?

Thank you,

Brian

575rpm motor?
    If this is a 3ph inductor it should not make any difference to the current?
    The liquid coming out was probably grease from the top bearing?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Question

Thanks for moving this Al,:wave:
    The motor is old Al, from the late 40's and it does not say inverter duty anywhere. I have run this machine before with no issues but now that the filter is taken out of the picture I was concerned about damaging the motor. There is a slight high pitched noise coming from the motor-does this cause damadge to the windings? My Oliver 20c lathe has a VFD on her and whines as well but it has a new inverter duty motor on it.
    I plan on running the band saw at 60hrtz (full) but just wondering if I am putting the motor at risk with out the filter between the motor and the VFD?

Thank you,

B,

If this is a 575rpm motor, 60hz, that means it is a 12pole motor?
    I am wondering if the VFD can be applied to this high a pole motor?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Question

Well,
    I've run her with the Yaskawa and have had no problems, other than heating up the L350. When I talked with the rep from Presision Zone , he went above the amp rating on the motor (13.5 amps) . The Yaskawa is 19.5 .
    Why do You think I should not be using the VFD Al,

B,