584,837 active members*
5,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Techno Isel gantry 067 - Questions

Good Morning, I teach tech in Toronto. I currently have a redcam cnc and just recently I had a generous person donate a Techno Isel 067 machine. Our principal wants to have a complete list of costs that will be required to set up and install it. I searched for hours last night and I cannot find anything about this machine. I know that I will need to run a power drop and I am not sure what voltage. The guy tells me it is 220 but he does not really know. Also, the machine is a 1997 and I am not sure what HMI interface it will have. I love Mach3 and I might in the future set it up to run with mach3. Does anyone have any other relevant information on this machine?
    What type of software would this machine have? Is mach3 a possibility? How much is a copy of Mach 3? Does the system have a fanuc style controller?

Many thanks

Rodney

Techno Educational Division | Servo Tabletop CNC Router, CNC Mill.

It looks like it has changed, but stills current model.

I would call them they are very helpful.

Jon

Your best bet will be to buy a G540 kit from Keling or elsewhere to replace the steppers and controller. The old interface will be DOS based or serial based. You will have much better performance and power if you replace them and you can also run Mach3 as well.

If I had your setup, that is what I would do.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

I finally got it into my school today, it is a dos based system. What would it cost, as a ball park to purchase the G540 system that you were telling me about.
    Also, how difficult is it to wire up? I have a little experience configuring my redcam machine but limited experience wiring up servos and the controllers.

Score! Good for you and your students!

Here is the link to keling's G540 kits:

Page Title

I think you would want package #1. As for wiring instructions, there is a great JPG that I saw on another thread in the DIY section that had the wiring all written out for you.

Don't forget the 3.48K ohm resistors to reduce the motor power at rest. You will need some solid state relays that trigger at 48V for the spindle switch, wires for limits, e-stop ect... and an electrical outlet for the spindle relay. Usually you can find most of the extras at any hardware store.The rest of the setup can be reused from the techno.

One thing I would invest in is a relatively inexpensive multimeter that you can check voltages and makes a noise when probing low resistance (chasing wires).

Apart from the G540 kit, your probably looking at about $50-60 extra. This looks like a fun project and I wish I was in your shoes.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

I found the wiring diagram:
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf
    It looks complicated but it has many extras that you don't need.

is this a servo machine running an isa card interface under dos or is it a stepper? if it is a servo and it works you should be able to plug it in and run, I ran the isa dos system for years and did fine with it. some of the power boxes were produced with 220 v so the plug on the power box should give you the answer.

I would suggest that you go through the machine and check out every thing on it before jumping into the fire from the frying pan.

Thanks for the advice. It is a servo system. The only issue is that it will be difficult for my students to upload their g code. It only has a 3.5 floppy disk. That said it also has an Ethernet card perhaps there is a way to send the files via Ethernet. Really at the end of the day that is all that is important to me. Dos is very stable.

Quote Originally Posted by ontariocnc View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It is a servo system. The only issue is that it will be difficult for my students to upload their g code. It only has a 3.5 floppy disk. That said it also has an Ethernet card perhaps there is a way to send the files via Ethernet. Really at the end of the day that is all that is important to me. Dos is very stable.
    I'd recommend contacing Dan Mauch at Camtronics. I've got a recently converterted Techno router that he helped me convert to Mach3, saving and re-using the original very good servo motors. I'm now working with him on a second conversion, as well. I have no connection to him, but he's done well for me.

That sounds good, what did it cost (ballpark) to convert it over?

Oh poo! I didn't know it was a servo machine I thought it was steppers! You should definitely keep the servomotors and the encoders all you would need then are three servo drives and a breakout board. Don't forget a license for Mach 3 which for an educational institution is $100. You will also probably need an air spring to assist lift on the z access because Mach 3 doesn't trigger the break built into the servomotor.

I don't know which servodrive's to recommend because I've never replaced servodrive's before. However, I have contemplated replacing the techno electronics on my own machine quite a bit.

you can run the dos interface in a dos window, feed the gcode via the network in windows, best to drop the network when running the machine, but it should work ok, the demise of the isa buss as general standard is what prompted the change to pci bus. isa bus had timing, pci does not. the techno system is a closed loop, mach3 is step and direction, has to be closed in the drive. other wise it is an open loop system.

if all you need to do is circles and squares mach 3 will do fine but it will be jerky and slow through complex 3d curves.

Does that mean I keep the existing computer, running dos, hooked up to my cnc and I send the files to the dos box via a windows machine via a dos box. Or do you mean that I should remove the dos program from the old computer and run it on a new machine via a dos box?

you can put win 98 on the dos box which currently serves as the controller, or if you have a dos based lan system you can just sen the g code to the hard drive in the controller box. If you have a person on the staff at your school who is proficient at the IT stuff he or she can probably help you do what you need to do.

I used to use lantastic , and eventually windows figured out how to fix things so I could no longer get them to work, that's when I started running in windows for communication and ran the machine in a dos window, or dos mode.

Re: Techno Isel gantry 067 - Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ontariocnc View Post
    Good Morning, I teach tech in Toronto. I currently have a redcam cnc and just recently I had a generous person donate a Techno Isel 067 machine. Our principal wants to have a complete list of costs that will be required to set up and install it. I searched for hours last night and I cannot find anything about this machine. I know that I will need to run a power drop and I am not sure what voltage. The guy tells me it is 220 but he does not really know. Also, the machine is a 1997 and I am not sure what HMI interface it will have. I love Mach3 and I might in the future set it up to run with mach3. Does anyone have any other relevant information on this machine?
    What type of software would this machine have? Is mach3 a possibility? How much is a copy of Mach 3? Does the system have a fanuc style controller?

Many thanks

Rodney
    Hi Rodney, I too have a redcam lathe and mill and I am looking for a manual for the machines. Can you help me out?
    Thanks SS