585,977 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Weird tool compensation issues

Weird tool compensation issues

Hi All,

I am running a DMV 3016 and I program with MasterCam X.

I use wear compensation on a contour cut of a rectangular piece. I have tool 1 as the rougher, tool 2 as the finisher.

When there is no wear(d) compensation, both tools cut straight meaning if it's travelling and cutting on the x axis, there is no movement on the y or z axis. Visa versa. As soon as I put any sort of negative compensation, there is a problem.

Example: when I put any (*-0.030" for example) wear(d) compensation on tool 1, it will cut along the left and right sides of the rectangle straight, meaning the y position is changing as expected but the x and z are static with zero movement. When it cuts the front and back edges, the x axis travels as programmed, but the y descends from .030 down to .000 instead of just compensating the whole .030" all the way through. Result is a tapered edge.

Any idea why?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cutter comp needs a lead in/out for it to work,

Comp is taken up from the current postion ( line before the G41/G42 ), during the execution of the next line that has movement ( most have movement on the line with the G41/G42 ) --- this depends on the planes used ie G17 means comp is only on the XY plane, there is NO compensating movement on the Z axis

so, if you select a rectangle with no lead in/out, the tool descends onto the profile, comp will be taken up on the next goto point ( giving you that taper ) - lead in /out moves must be larger than the value you wish to use in the control
    - if using comp "in Control", then the lead in/out values must be larger than the tool radius ( say 55% )

Thanks for the help. That was exactly what I missed. Problem solved.

DaewooDMV3016