585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

series 3 upgrade question

In the middle of the series 3 upgrade, Z axis done, x axis off and I opened the new motor boxes for X and Y
    Neither is marked with anything, one is larger, I thought they were both the same with only the z being larger.
    The larger of the two is the size of the Z axis unit (minus the brake) around 5 inch body length
    The other one is almost 1" shorter
    I figure maybe the Y axis is larger since it needs to move the saddle and table, and the X is smaller since it only needs to move the table
    Looking at some pictures of other installs it's hard to tell but the X and Y look the same.
    Anyone who's done it, have input?
    Thanks
    Mooser

Mooser,

Can't say if it is the same for everyone, but in my case all the motors are essentially identical, the only difference being the addition of the brake assy to the Z motor. A quick check with a ruler shows them to be about 4 7/8" long and 3 3/8" square at the mounting face. This is most likely approximate since they are probably dimensioned metrically, but they are definetely all the same size.

Good Luck
    Terry

Ah well, that's what I figured
    This must be from a 770 or something changed and they didn't tell anyone.
    Looks like I'm down till next week when someone is at Tormach
    Thanks

(power wires don't reach the Z axis controller either)
    Mooser

Sorry man, looks like you are lucky like me, everytime I find something to ask about it's the weekend LOL!

Yup
    Tormach sent a 770 motor by mistake.
    Hopefully they have a 1100 motor in stock and I'm not down mid-conversion for weeks.
    Ah well...
    Mooser

You could check to see if you can re-install the old motor/driver on that axis and run with the Series 2 version Mach3 software.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Yup
    Tormach sent a 770 motor by mistake.
    Hopefully they have a 1100 motor in stock and I'm not down mid-conversion for weeks.
    Ah well...
    Mooser

Looks like they had one in stock
    Shipped out Monday. Somewhere in transit now
    Mooser

Smile

Glad to hear they had the motor on hand, shouldn't take you too long to be up and running.
    Terry

Well it took a few days more than I originally hoped but I'm back up and running with the new Series3 motors.

Couple of observations
    I've got a 3 digit machine but must have been near the end since it had the Z-axis brake. No mention of this in the install guide but there's only really 2 wires on the C1 contactor that needed to be changed to the new brake

My X axis drive is tucked all the way over in the left of the case, real pain to get the new drive with mounting adapter into that corner

When installing the new motors if they don't slide in nice, loosen the coupler screw on the ball-screw side, the shafts on the new motors must be slightly different or something, both my Z and Y axis motors wouldn't go all the way in (stopped pretty much dead about .0750" - .100" short) and as soon as I loosened the coupler they slid in the rest of the way.

You do not need to remove the upper chip guard or rear column cover plate as far as I can tell. Mine has sound deadening all over the back and I would have had to cut everything apart so I tried leaving it and more or less everything worked fine (see next item)

You can change the Y axis motor even if the machine is basically against the wall (I have about 3" behind the motor to the wall) but it's a real pain. Did everything standing in the chip-tray reaching down over the upper chip guard (see previous item) to the motor

Did a quick power up and all axis are working, X gets up to about 104ipm

Need to do some cycles tomorrow to see how all axis are performing.

Also need to get a hold of Tormach next week to see about my A axis, I'm guessing it should still work since there has been no mention of it not working anywhere but I just want to make sure. For now I unhooked the power to it just in case.

Later
    Mooser

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Well it took a few days more than I originally hoped but I'm back up and running with the new Series3 motors.

Couple of observations
    I've got a 3 digit machine but must have been near the end since it had the Z-axis brake. No mention of this in the install guide but there's only really 2 wires on the C1 contactor that needed to be changed to the new brake

My X axis drive is tucked all the way over in the left of the case, real pain to get the new drive with mounting adapter into that corner

When installing the new motors if they don't slide in nice, loosen the coupler screw on the ball-screw side, the shafts on the new motors must be slightly different or something, both my Z and Y axis motors wouldn't go all the way in (stopped pretty much dead about .0750" - .100" short) and as soon as I loosened the coupler they slid in the rest of the way.

You do not need to remove the upper chip guard or rear column cover plate as far as I can tell. Mine has sound deadening all over the back and I would have had to cut everything apart so I tried leaving it and more or less everything worked fine (see next item)

You can change the Y axis motor even if the machine is basically against the wall (I have about 3" behind the motor to the wall) but it's a real pain. Did everything standing in the chip-tray reaching down over the upper chip guard (see previous item) to the motor

Did a quick power up and all axis are working, X gets up to about 104ipm

Need to do some cycles tomorrow to see how all axis are performing.

Also need to get a hold of Tormach next week to see about my A axis, I'm guessing it should still work since there has been no mention of it not working anywhere but I just want to make sure. For now I unhooked the power to it just in case.

Later
    Mooser
    My A axis works just fine with the upgrade. No issues to worry about.

Mooser,

You can double check with Tormach, but I asked about the A axis when I got my upgrade, and they assured me that it would work fine, no issues. That said, I have not had a chance to try it yet....
    Tery

Thanks Guys, I'll hook it up and give it a try
    Mooser