585,762 active members*
4,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC conv. Weiss WMD25lv

Hello everybody!
    After reading a lot of great posts on this wonderful forum I have decided to cnc convert my Weiss WMD 25lv mill. I have allready made some of the alu parts needed based on drawings from the Hoss DVD, thank you for a great DVD Hoss!! The mill is down at the moment because I have managed to strip the plastic intermediate gear, I am waiting for parts so I can convert the drive using a toothed belt.
    My original plan was to convert it just to phase 1, using the original leadscrews but I have to say that ballscrews is very temting....
    I have seen a lot of ballscrews on ebay but want to know if anybody can recomend what ebay user to buy from?? I would like the seller to machine the ends for me as well. I guess I will use the RM1605 for the x and y axis and the RM2005 for the Z. So is there anyone who can recomend a ebay user to buy the ballscrews from?

Greatings from Norway!

http://stores.ebay.ca/linearmotionbe...id=p4340.l2563

thats the guy thats was one of the first selling the cheap chinese c7 screws online. people seem to trust him. ive never bought from him myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by CncNor View Post
    .............is there anyone who can recomend a ebay user to buy the ballscrews from?

Greatings from Norway!

Hi there I used Keling Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver,CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor, Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver, CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor for my first ballscrew and ball nut purchase but I machined the ends myself but I also saw on kelings website they also supply machined end screws have a look here for your 16mm or 5/8th" screwhttp://www.kelinginc.net/1605ballscrewmachineend.pdf
    and here for your 20mm or 3/4" screw http://www.kelinginc.net/2005ballscrewmachineend.pdf

Good luck with the project.....:cheers:
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Hi there I used Keling Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver,CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor, Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver, CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor for my first ballscrew and ball nut purchase but I machined the ends myself but I also saw on kelings website they also supply machined end screws have a look here for your 16mm or 5/8th" screwhttp://www.kelinginc.net/1605ballscrewmachineend.pdf
    and here for your 20mm or 3/4" screw http://www.kelinginc.net/2005ballscrewmachineend.pdf

Good luck with the project.....:cheers:

the screws from keling are the same as from ebay, they just cost more.

in theory youll get better support for that money. i didnt suggest them and the other american resellers because hes not in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    i didnt suggest them and the other american resellers because hes not in the US.
    Oops your right I kinda over looked that and I'm outside the States too
    Eoin

I have received a totalprice from linearmotionbearings2008 and the price was so good that I will give him a chance. According to my measurements I can just send him the plans for the ballscrews from the Hoss DVD, it seems the table on my Weiss mill is identical with the g0704.

But I am waiting for some other things from Keling, a smoothstepper and some other bits and bobs, but my package has not moved since november 26. I guess the reason is the upcoming holiday?? Is the post service extra slow in the US these days? They used USPS by the way.

ballscrew

Quote Originally Posted by CncNor View Post
    I have received a totalprice from linearmotionbearings2008 and the price was so good that I will give him a chance. According to my measurements I can just send him the plans for the ballscrews from the Hoss DVD, it seems the table on my Weiss mill is identical with the g0704.

But I am waiting for some other things from Keling, a smoothstepper and some other bits and bobs, but my package has not moved since november 26. I guess the reason is the upcoming holiday?? Is the post service extra slow in the US these days? They used USPS by the way.
    usps might be a little slow, but that seems too much. i do nkow that soemtimes usps tracking just doesnt get updated til 2 days after youve recieved it

I have got movement!! The electronics seems to be correctly wired and the one motor i have connected is moving
    My mill is still down so the motor is not connected to the mill yet, can`t wait to get everything hooked up and moving the table...

But there is one thing i need help with and that is motor tuning(metric), i have searched this forum and tryed to google but can`t find a good answer, and i find the mach3 tutorial a bit confusing on this subject.... maybe i am a bit slow

So i would be very grateful if someone could help me with a metric calculation.

My motors is Nema 23 so the steps pr rev is 200
    I have my drivers set to 1/2 steps (1 step on the z with a 2:1 belt drive)
    I will be using the 1605 ballscrews and they have 5mm pitch.
    Will my calculation then be: 200 x 2 / 5 = 80 steps pr mm??
    I will be using mach3 to configure the precise steps pr when everything is hooked up, but i need a good starting point.

After reading some of the posts regarding G0704(very similar to my mill) i have realized that my setup is probably very underpowered, my motors is only 425 oz with the Keling 4030 drivers and a 36V/9,7A power supply. Direct drive on x and y and a 2:1 belt drive on the z.
    As this is my first mill and first experience with cnc i don`t feel the need for speed yet and would be happy just with moving all of my axis. I can always upgrade the system if the need for speed comes creeping up on me...

But with the hardware i have got, what will be the optimal settings if good torque is the main priority? Will i have better torque if i change the microsteps on my drivers or will this just give me higher resolution?? I have the dip swithes on my drivers set to 2,7A, i guess this is correct? The motor specs say 2.8A pr phase when wired in bipolar parallel.

Best regards
    Frode

Your calculation seems right to me. It would be 400 steps for a complete revolution and one complete revolution moves you 5mm so then 80 steps per mm seems right to me.

BTW - I have 425's on my X/Y on a Bf-25 clone and with ball screws they will power right through cuts that you shouldn't take. My spindle motor will run out of juice before the steppers will fail to move the tool so I doubt you are under-powered. It does mean a bit less reserve and not as high a top speed. The Z axis I think I would prefer to have something more on though. Really the key to getting my 425's to perform was to give them as much voltage and current as they can take.

Mine are HobbyCNC 425's though so they have a little less inductance than Keling's offering in that size so they need less voltage to hold the same speeds in rapids. Anyway, I think your X/Y will do just fine on what you have. Probably the Z too since it's geared down. I would think about going with 1/2 step on Z too. Steppers on full step run very rough and I've found them to be easier to stall full step than half step.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Now i am milling in 2D I don`t think i will covert the Z axis before i install the ballscrews and as i had a little problem with the machining from linearmotionsbearings i have to machine the ballscrews before i get full 3D milling. I have the dvd from Hoss so i have the dimensions on the ballscrew mounts but he is using Roton ballscrews and i am not.... Can i just use the outside dimensions from the plans on the DVD and adjust the center hole to fit my ballscrewnuts? Or is there anyone that is willing to share some drawing of ballscrew nuts that will fit my screws??

Regards
    Frode
    Norway