586,019 active members*
3,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Help identifying servo motor

Help identifying servo motor

I have had this large DC many poled brushed motor lying beneath my workbench for about 10 years now, and it recently came to mind because of my looking for servos for my CNC project. The only problem is I don't know exactly what I have. It is a sizeable motor, weighs about 15 pounds. It is painted in a hammertone green paint, and measures about 7 inches long, 4 inches in diameter, and has an output shaft that measures approx, .635 in diameter, and is about 1.9 inches long. It came from an enormous hard drive, it was the main platter motor. It is rated at 72 VDC. I hooked it up to a 6V lantern battery, and though it turned slowly- about 200 RPM, it nearly rips your fingers off when you grab hold of the shaft. I could not get it to stall using my hands at 6V, I can only imagine the torque at 72V! I KNOW it would make a good servo, the question is whether or not it will be happy running my 48 inch 1.5 inch diameter .25 pitch ballscrew at 400 IPM.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive was an IBM 10 MB. There is no encoder, I think it was on the main spindle. I unfortunately have lost the pulleys, spindle, and the rest of the electronics through the years. I wonder if its all up in the attic!... I'll bet the encoder is up there, too...

It sounds like you have an Amtek motor there. Somewhere around here I've got several that came off of an old IBM tape drive. The ones with the 2 big reels on the front. I think that they are 50 volters.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.