585,932 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PDB/ATC compressor

Hi all,

I'm a longtime lurker (in fact, I feel like I know a lot of you already) and looking at the Tormach 1100. For the money, I feel like it will do very well what I need it to do (which is primarily making motorcycle parts).

Curious about those of you operating the PDB and/or ATC...what's your solution for compressed air...CFM and PSI? What compressor are you running? How often does your compressor play catch up? Would you change your air situation if you could?

Sorry for the lousy introduction and for asking so many pesky questions.

Best regards,
    DS

Ds, Welcome!

The Pdb doesnt need much air. I would use tormachs option as the ow benchmark for what kind of compressor is needed.

David

I have an old DeWalt/Emglo portable running about 100 PSI to the PDB & ATC. Once I got all the leaks out (lots of push fittings in the system), the compressor doesn't run much. With the PDB you pretty much have to use air to change tools, so I set the compressor up to turn on when the Tormach is turned on. By the time the PC boots, pressure is up.

Awesome!! Thanks much guys...this is a lot of what I wanted to know!!

The GMC compressor Tormach sells is quite nice. Since it sits right next to the machine, I appreciate that it doesn't scare the heck out of me whenever it starts up. Of course when the spindle is running you hardly hear it at all. Like shred said, it is worthwhile taking time to get all the leaks out of the system.

bob

I am running a 175 psi @100 SCFM two-stage compressor with 80 gallon tank, copper line distribution with individual regulators at each drop. In addition to its own regulator the PDB drop also has an automatic oiler. Pressure after the regulator at the PDB is 120 PSI.
    Don

Auto oiler is a good idea to keep the seal lubed...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Auto oiler is a good idea to keep the seal lubed...
    That was my thinking even though Tormach said the PDB didn't require it.

Don

I just bought a small craftsman air compressor on black friday (online not in-store) and it works great. I have the ATC and limit it to 120 PSI. I also have a dryer.

My Compressor

The Tormach documents say 120psi is close to the max PSI to run or else you might damage the lines for the PDB or the ATC (simple push connections).

+1 on the automatic oiler

And if I recall, don't both the PDB and the ATC required the same--or very close--volume and pressure?

@Don: nice set-up you got there. I like the way you've thought that out.

Pressure is the same, but volume will be more for the ATC-- it uses an air-cylinder to move in and out, plus has an air blast on the tools that are changed.

I have one concern about the automatic oiler. As one who in the past owned several cars in which the wrong the type of brake fluid could damage the seals. ( car origin to remain anonymous except to say that there was no synchro first gear, the positive battery connection was grounded, the battery was mounted over the heater box so there was always a vitriolic taste inside, and Edwards Deming was not there to implement SPC )
    I am using Senco Pneumatic Tool Lubricating Oil P/N PC101 or Mobil DTE oil

Don

If you haven't seen one yet, the power draw bar uses the air to release the tool. The air does NOT hold the tool in place, there are a set of bellville springs that draw the collet into the spindle. Therefore, anything capable of compressing the springs works fine. I have been doing just fine between 100 and 110 psi, and it also works fine down to about 95. I point this out since before I installed the PDB, I was assuming I needed a much bigger compressor. Not the case. Low volume, moderate pressure works just fine.