585,754 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting out the column cross brace

I am having a bit of an internal struggle trying to decide if I should cut out the cross brace on the Z axis column. :argue:

I understand that IH cuts it out on the turn key CNC mill but I am wondering why after all this time have they not simply modified the casting?

Has anyone ever noticed a difference in column strenght after it was cut out?

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo(1).jpg  
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

I know what you mean on which path to take. I think I'm going to try Arizona's method first, then I can always come back and cut the web out. Good luck.
    Ron

I cut the tie out of my column about a year ago after running the cnc conversion 6 months or so. It needed to go so I could use R8 collets and cut parts on the table, not in my vise. I've since pretty much stopped using R8 collets the past 6 months or more so that tie may have been able to be left in place. Don't know for sure though because I use a ER collet holder that's not that long. And I still cut parts on the table (on a sac plate or fixture).

Honestly, I can't tell any difference either way. I'd think that if all you run are setscrew style tool holders and Jacobs chucks, it could probable stay in place. Especially if you always cut in the vise. Or, extend the quill a bit when the need arises.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by endo47 View Post
    I know what you mean on which path to take. I think I'm going to try Arizona's method first, then I can always come back and cut the web out. Good luck.
    Ron
    Do you happen to have a link to where "Arizona's method" is explained?

Thanks,
    Arvid

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    I understand that IH cuts it out on the turn key CNC mill but I am wondering why after all this time have they not simply modified the casting?
    Maybe they don't control how the castings are made and just buy off the rack, so to speak.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Maybe they don't control how the castings are made and just buy off the rack, so to speak.

Mike
    IH has had some mod's done to the castings, But, they are all delivered as manual machines and require the aditional mod's for CNC conversions.

One of the most noteriety mod's they had done was to stiffen the dove tail cut are of the column on the inside, it adds a lot of rigidity material to the inside or thinnest area of the collumn to help keep it from distorting from the gib adjustment tensions. If you haven't gathered, it is difficult to say in words !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Arvid, I'll see if I can find the info regarding the "L bracket". Hopefully Arizonavideo will see your post and lead us to the link.

When I did my Z mount I re surfaced the mounting pad and moved the bolt holes up on the slide by about 1.5" adding two two M10 bolts instead of the one M12.

You need to look closely at where the bolts are as you don.t have a lot of extra room with the mounting ring and webbing around. The metal was real thick with one bolt going through at least a 1.5" of cast iron.

I took a few pictures of how close I can get to the table now.

The quill is all the way up and the block is a 123 and the head is all the way down so it looks like I can get to about 2.5" of the table.

For me that is just fine as I almost always have the work on at least a 1"block and extending the quill 2" is no big deal.

I would like to add that the castings I have seen lately do look a bit different than my IH (2 year old). The mounting pad on my Z was a oval shape and the last one I saw here was nice and square. The column cross brace on mine is slightly curved where the picture above it is really square looking.

I was thinking of filling up the bottom 12"or 14"of my column with cement and 4 thread rods to go into the base. This might transfer the shock loads a bit better and their is nothing in the way. Cement should stick good to all that flashing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0178.JPG   SANY0181.JPG  

If you look at this guys build the Z slide is a lot different than mine. The mounting pad sticks up and the rest of the area is much lower than mine was.

He will lose some Z at the table unless he cuts out the cross brace which may be OK I don't know.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...8&d=1324620403

On mine the 3 head mounting bolts also were standard 6 sides bolts with no shoulder that made small cracks in the casting. I had to replace them with shoulder bolts that you have to mill down a bit to make them fit. Much better bolts, the stock ones are butter.

Here is what I did last night...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/1039513-post59.html

Much like Arizona's mod.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

I would think that the angle iron will flex some.

Perhaps a nice big block of something.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    I would think that the angle iron will flex some.

Perhaps a nice big block of something.
    Probably will replace it with a block of steel. That is why I notched the main bar and used bolts for now... Easy to modify if it flexes.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com