584,829 active members*
5,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Engraver Machine with Diamond Drag bit to cut mirror?

Engraver Machine with Diamond Drag bit to cut mirror?

I am looking for a way to cut thin mirrors (1mm thick) using an inexpensive CNC machine. I have found an engraver machine made by Zenbot (CNC Routers). I talked to the maker and he recommended that I purchase a Diamond Drag Engraving Bit (http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/...dmnd_engrv.htm) to try and see. I just purchased one from ebay (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices). I don't know if this is gonna work. Any ideas or recommendations?

This is an art project where mirrors are cut into certain geometrical patterns (1/4" to 2" in length on any side) and then using a grout placed on a plaster (3D pattern) that goes on the walls. It is a mirror-work art.

I already tried laser at a demonstration office. We tried it at many settings (changing power, pulse frequency and adding moisture). The edges came out very rough and the mirror cracked when we tried etching multiple ones.

As you have already found, Laser won't work as the cross section of the line melted into the surface is not correct for subsequent fracture of the glass.

The diamond drag system works extremely well. I have found that the surface of the glass needs to be completely clean (no fingerprints) for best results and the glass breaks cleanly.
    Obviously the edges of the glass are very sharp but this can be reduced by rubbing with a small oil stone if necessary.
    Because there is some (quite small) resistance to movement with this process the CNC machine need to be reasonably good quality and rigid.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Thanks so much Tweakie. You made me hopeful. I am going to try out the CNC machine with the diamond drag bit before I purchase the machine. I will post the results.

Thanks so much Tweakie. You made me hopeful. I am going to try out the CNC machine with the diamond drag bit before I purchase the machine. I will post the results.
    Excellent idea, I look forward to seeing a picture of the results

Tweakie.

I received the diamond drag engraving bit yesterday in mail. I believe it has a 120 deg tip. I tried cutting the mirrors we have (1mm thick) applying different pressures by hand. I found it to be very ineffective for etching glass for the purpose of cutting it. It doesn't etch smoothly like a diamond (wheel) glass cutter does. It is very difficult to snap after the etch. I noticed that the harder I pressed on mirror (glass) the more difficult it became to get a clean cut. But with a gentle press it didn't provide a smooth edge after snapping it. So, I am guessing that it will not work.

I haven't tried it on the CNC machine but I wonder if it is worth the try since I have to drive a long distance to Fresno. I will post a video on how I used it to cut mirror by hand later.

I haven't tried it on the CNC machine but I wonder if it is worth the try since I have to drive a long distance to Fresno. I will post a video on how I used it to cut mirror by hand later.
    The whole idea of this type of cutter is that it is used with a CNC machine. If you want to cut glass by hand then use a conventional cutter.

Tweakie.

No. I want to use a CNC machine to cut. But I tried it by hand to see how well it works. Then maybe it's not supposed to be used by hand (as you implied) as there is a particular pressure that needs to be applied to the glass. I will have to find a shop that has a CNC engraver machine to test it on.

Bit

I think it will work but you would need the 90 degree bit and it must be diamond coated, the carbide tipped ones don't get a good scratch on the glass.

Smile Re: diamond cutting

The diamond is very hard metal for the cutting and drilling.

So take care for it. It depends on the diamond strength...

So based on that you have to set the degree of 90 or 120 for it...
    needham-laser.com