585,930 active members*
3,730 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: snc bandsaw

snc bandsaw

hello everyone. my first post. as you may notice i messed up my name and singed up to fast and forgot the letter t.

nice forums you guys have here. im looking to find some info on the proper cutting fluid oil/water mixture? i dont have a refractometer, but if i did i wouldnt know what % it should be at.

my boss just got a new snc automatic band saw and im running it. its working out pretty good. the only problem im having with it really is that im getting a lot of blade vibration, and the material will rise up in automatic mode so after you cut 20 pcs, it will be a 1/4 inch off the table and the cuts wont be square. today i cut 2 1/2 in square blocks out of 6061 aluminum and i was getting about 1 minute per peice. our old saw took well over 2 minutes and the cuts were always crooked. im sure if i put a 3 / 4 pitch blade on there it would have taken less. i had the 6 / 10 on there.

well if anyone knows any answers to them 3 questions i would appreciate it. well, the second 2 arnt really in the form of a question but oh well. thanks :cheers:

Is the saw running in the proper direction? Don't laugh, a local shop ran their saw for years with the band running towards the idler wheel of the saw. Because of the upward inclination of the blade during most of the cut, I can visualize such a saw lifting the work slightly up off the base of the vise.

I suppose your saw has vertical rolls to guide and hold the stock for the cut? Any misalignment of those rolls could lift the stock. Is there a crossbar roller to capture the top side and hold it down?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

LOL, yes the saw is going in the right direstion. no there is nothing to hold it down to the table. you can buy vises for that, for when you cut bundles of things. but for now the boss doesnt need to spend the money because we dont usually cut hundreds of peices at a time. i was just wondering if there was any other cnc saw cutters on this board. i guess there isnt too many. :cheers:

i found out why the maretial mover up on the vices. when your cutting thin 1 1/2x 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle or the like. when you have too much pressure in the vises it will distor the metal, and even a little bit of distortion of the stock to be cut, it will most likly not sit flat in the vises. and your cuts will not be square also. it took me about a week to figure this thing out. what my boss got was vise pressure regulator gauges. and its as simple as that. :wee:

the stock saw was at about 300psi. to cut thin angle like i mentioned about i went down to 40-50 psi. its too bad the guy my boss bought the machine from didnt tell me this. because i dont have any experience with this. so screw that guy, :wee: lol.