584,805 active members*
5,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mikinimech > VFD and AC Motor replacement project
Page 5 of 17 3456715
    Allen, if you're going to scrap the Mikini motor and plan to machine the pulley just lop it off or drill out the motor shaft. You could also try heating the pulley and pressing it off.

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    I know Pete pulled his pulley from the motor himself successfully I would be curious how he did that since it is a thermal fit. If I could do that I could pull the old pulley and machine in to fit a QD bushing or thermal fit for the new motor.
    I used a bearing separator and puller...like this setup....

heat up the pulley ( I used a map gas bottle from home depot) ....plus the help of a nice impact gun to turn the puller bolt

To re-install, I wrapped the rotor in aluminum (so the wife wouldn't know what it was) and put it in the freezer overnight. The next day I pulled out the rotor and heated up the pulley really good. It slipped right on
    pete

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses kitchen appliances for stuff like this. The most use my Jenn-Air Pro Line range has gotten so far is to heat parkerizing solution to refinish some firearms parts.

Thanks Pete, I should be able to swing that. Any recommendation on which bearing separator and puller set to pick up. I think HF might have this one local Bearing Separator and Puller Set and Advance Auto Parts might have this one OTC 4518 5 Ton Bar-Type Puller/Bearing Splitter Set
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    I used a bearing separator and puller...like this setup....

heat up the pulley ( I used a map gas bottle from home depot) ....plus the help of a nice impact gun to turn the puller bolt

To re-install, I wrapped the rotor in aluminum (so the wife wouldn't know what it was) and put it in the freezer overnight. The next day I pulled out the rotor and heated up the pulley really good. It slipped right on

Actually, my puller and separator came from harbor freight. I like to use the separator due to its nice contact point on the pulley.
    pete

Video update

You guys are going to love this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQRRweXzSGg]Mikini AC Motor and VFD replacement project Video 4 - YouTube[/ame]

Great Video. So much for press fit. Wife was wondering what I was laughing at!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Nice!
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

LOLOLOLO !!!!!! I was drinking my coffee and laughed a bunch of it up my nose
    pete

So now the question is, how well is the pulley attached to the spindle?!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Another update

Got the pulley attached to the new motor. I bored it out on the lathe to 0.0015" smaller than the shaft. So the interference fit is class FN-2 according to my machinery handbook. I stuck the motor in the freezer overnight and heated the pulley with a propane torch I was then able to tap the pulley on with a brass hammer.

It's a good shrink fit it's not going anywhere.

I got the plate and motor attached to the mill all the fabrication is more or less done. Next is all the wiring.

I went ahead and ordered Keling's new digital stepper drivers the KL-8070D These things are getting rave reviews so I figure why not plus it will make the wiring that much easier as it has screw terminals for the wiring. I will test the Mikini power supplies and as long as the voltage is good and steady I will keep them otherwise they are out too.

Pics and video update as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Xtq-iSRw]Mikini 1610L AC Motor and VFD replacement project Video 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Allen.....Looks Great!!!! I have the Keling 8070d drives on my retrofitted Emco lathe ...they are really nice
    pete

Thanks Pete I think I am getting pretty close now.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    Allen.....Looks Great!!!! I have the Keling 8070d drives on my retrofitted Emco lathe ...they are really nice

So it's moving under it's own power again with the new electronics. So making progress I am sort of stuck on the proximity sensors because I have no data on these. So I am not sure how to wire them to the C23. Anyone have any data on these things?

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    So I am not sure how to wire them to the C23. Anyone have any data on these things?
    2 wire or 3 wire? any part number?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    2 wire or 3 wire? any part number?
    Al.
    they are three wire it has P1204 and C32H on it.

I think they are 12 volt NPN NO just guessing. Though I did measure the output voltage for the limit switch ports on the mikini part and so I know it's 12 volt

I think this is the right datasheet:

http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/dat..._ds_csm468.pdf
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

ok I figured out how to wire them up I think. Pin 1 is +12V pin 2 is signal and Pin 3 is -12v. The problem I have is that it's active low, but it's high signal is only about 1V which won't work with the TTL logic of this BOB. TTL high is a minimum of 2 Volts. Can anyone recommend a good 5V or 12V TTL output photo interrupter switch for use with a cnc4pc C23

Allen, I think we are all ready for a video of the machine up and running the new spindle, with now issues... Will that happen this weekend?

Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

Page 5 of 17 3456715