585,886 active members*
6,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mikinimech > VFD and AC Motor replacement project
Page 6 of 17 4567816
    It might, I got some new home switches in this week. I am going to work on getting them fitted and working today. Then after that it's work on wiring up the spindle itself. Here is a picture from last week. This is in the machine now and the new stepper drivers are working well. I will try and post another update this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Allen, I think we are all ready for a video of the machine up and running the new spindle, with now issues... Will that happen this weekend?

Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

Allen,

How's that update coming? Waiting patiently!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Progress report, I got the Y and Z axis home switches mounted and working Pretty easily. The X axis was another matter entirely. I have about two days of fiddling in to that one switch. The problem is the new switch is not lining up with metal flag. And nothing is easily accessible or visible on that axis. The switch has gotten ripped off 3 times and the screws got sheared. So I had to go back to the drawing board on that one. I am going to try replacing that switch with a hall effect switch and magnet.

I have been out of town three weeks now. The first two weeks on business and this last week on vacation in Hawaii. So that has slowed progress a lot. I am hoping to take a whole week off in two weeks to finish the project.

Video update

Progress at last. That one X switch took far too long. Spindle is turning again getting close.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLccuCNuCXA]Mikini 1610L AC motor and VFD replacement project Video 6 - YouTube[/ame]

Hey if you have time could you document how you hook up the coolant to the BOB I have a similar board C11T and would like to run mine through the board also if you could show VFD hook up I don't have the Hitachi but any real world connection would probably help.

Build is really coming along and looks very professional. Spindle sounds really smooth I bet it will make some nice smooth cuts.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Looking good Allen!!!!! I really like how the motor sounded at full RPM. I don't think you'll have any issue of the motor faulting

Once, I get caught up with some customers, I'll be doing the same retrofit. My disappearing screen issue is coming back and I just don't want to waste time with the Mikini electronics anymore.

As for hooking up the VFD to the c23, I have a c11 on my lathe and I'm pretty sure i used both relays to run the vfd....I'll check tonight. I think one relay was used to stop and start and the other was for reversing. To run the coolant pump, I bought a relay board from Arturo (cnc4pc) and just hooked it up to an output pin.

Lastly, you'll really enjoy those digital drives when in actual use....they are really nice.
    pete

Looking good, Allen, thanks for the update! Really interested to see how the VFD does on lower speed cuts in steel - that is my main issue with the system right now. Cutting high speed in aluminum works fine, but it just has no guts when trying to go slow...

The steppers sound REALLY good too, on the new drivers. Those are the original stepper motors on the axis drives, right?

Finally, I see your have an older machine with the metal front door. My newer one is all plastic. I believe the X-axis switch on my machine is already located where you put yours...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I will document the coolant hookup. Its pretty straight forward just run the AC hot through the relay NO side. I will also document the programming and wiring for the VFD. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Hey if you have time could you document how you hook up the coolant to the BOB I have a similar board C11T and would like to run mine through the board also if you could show VFD hook up I don't have the Hitachi but any real world connection would probably help.

Build is really coming along and looks very professional. Spindle sounds really smooth I bet it will make some nice smooth cuts.

Thanks Pete, I think your right about the relays I remember seeing that on the instructions now. Wish I coul work on the mill this evening but I am off to Dallas for work unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    Looking good Allen!!!!! I really like how the motor

sounded at full RPM. I don't think you'll have any issue of the motor faulting

Once, I get caught up with some customers, I'll be doing the same retrofit. My disappearing screen issue is coming back and I just don't want to waste time with the Mikini electronics anymore.

As for hooking up the VFD to the c23, I have a c11 on my lathe and I'm pretty sure i used both relays to run the vfd....I'll check tonight. I think one relay was used to stop and start and the other was for reversing. To run the coolant pump, I bought a relay board from Arturo (cnc4pc) and just hooked it up to an output pin.

Lastly, you'll really enjoy those digital drives when in actual use....they are really nice.

Thanks mike, yes those are the original steppers the new drivers are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Looking good, Allen, thanks for the update! Really interested to see how the VFD does on lower speed cuts in steel - that is my main issue with the system right now. Cutting high speed in aluminum works fine, but it just has no guts when trying to go slow...

The steppers sound REALLY good too, on the new drivers. Those are the original stepper motors on the axis drives, right?

Finally, I see your have an older machine with the metal front door. My newer one is all plastic. I believe the X-axis switch on my machine is already located where you put yours...

Alan,
    I would like to know the total cost of the parts for this project if you don't mind sharing.

Chris

Looking great Alan. I'm about to start ordering parts to begin the transformation of mine into a Mik-Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    Alan,
    I would like to know the total cost of the parts for this project if you don't mind sharing.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

No problem here are the costs so far not including shipping

Marathon Micro Max Motor 2HP Y368 429.00
    WJ200-015SF Hitachi VFD 283.00
    KL-8070D Keling Digital Bipolar Drivers (not neccessary but better) 120 x 3

CNC4PC C23 BOB 198.00
    CNC4PC MPG 2 (also not necessary) 198.00
    C22 pendant interface board (also not necessary) 29.65
    Honeywell 785-HOA6990-T51 limit swithes 41.0
    Various wiring and cabling stuff ~100.00

total ~1440.65

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    Looking great Alan. I'm about to start ordering parts to begin the transformation of mine into a Mik-Allen.
    Thanks man, we do need to come up with a new name for it franken-mikini? :cheers:

Video update number 7

The spindle is now under Mach control

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCj3UDHdVCg&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCj3UDHdVCg&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Thank you for the Vid I watched it earlier this morning. Makes a whole lot more sense when I can "see" the wiring.
    Thank you!!!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Thanks for the update, Allen! Looking good...

This is getting exciting!!!!!!
    pete

Lets see some chips being made already!

One small problem, actually one big problem. I can't get to the Mikini right now because this showed up yesterday.

Going to have to get it in place and everything back in place today.

Page 6 of 17 4567816