584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mikinimech > VFD and AC Motor replacement project
Page 9 of 17 7891011
    Wow, thanks for all your work Allen that is indeed impressive. I know for a fact that the Mikini spindle would have stalled within .5sec or almost immediately on contact with the part with that .25 DOC and probably would have stalled within a second or two with the .1 DOC. I have actually stalled a .5 rougher with almost exact parameters (.1 DOC, .5 WOC, S1800 F11) in steel, I had to adjust to .05 DOC F8. I would not even have attempted .25 DOC. I forget the details right off but I can do a .1 DOC full slot at around S2900 F19 but it is with a 3/8 variable flute endmill and it is still loud as hell, but it makes it and to my surprise has yet to chip the flutes (because it has a .03 radius). I want to do this conversion but it will have to wait for some funding. Any plans of trying to integrate LCD panel back into operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    Well, we now know your spindle has the ability to rattle the rest of the machine apart
    Good show, Allen!
    Does anybody need an unused Mikini main board and/or motor? I won't be needing mine. The Mikini motor isn't heavy enough to use as my counter weight for the Mik-Allen conversion.
    I may be interested just to trouble shoot my stuff that isn't working right, PM me what you want for them.

I'm really impressed by the results !!! Again, thanks Allen for all the work you put into this project and more importantly, for posting the results :cheers:

I was going to start my project during the summer, but, my front display finally died this past weekend. Fortunately, the buttons are working and I can switch to computer mode. I'm finally making parts, but, I just don't trust the electronics in this machine and I don't want it failing me when I have orders to fill and with my luck..it will happen.

Soooo, I ordered a bunch of parts last night Same vector drive as Allen's, CNC4PC's c23 board, I'm seriously thinking about getting the Ethernet Smoothstepper. Ordered 3 digital drives from Keling.

I had a 2hp C face motor laying around and luckily, it was a 145tc frame :banana: So I saved a few dollars there.

I will experimenting with incorporating the existing MPG to work under Mach3, using CNC4PC's C22 pendant interface board....will see how that goes. I'll start a fresh thread
    pete

Thanks Guys, For all the kind words and support throughout the project. It was definitely easier with the group sort of egging me on.

I will now start the process of documenting as best I can here what I did so that anyone that wants to replicate it can fix their own Mikini. Today when I get home from work I will attach the CAD drawings in IGES and STEP for the motor mount. And try and document the programming of the VFD. And at some point I will do a wiring diagram and upload that as well. Oh and a complete parts list with numbers etc....

:cheers:

Allen,
    I don't need a video but if you have some time can you test a 1/2" drill in aluminum?
    I was also wondering if you are bypassing the manual control all together.
    Your coolant pressure seems better than mine also, did you change the pump?

thanks,

Chris

Great work man - I'm using the same motor in my RF45 conversion with a 2 speed micro-v belt configuration.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    Allen,
    I don't need a video but if you have some time can you test a 1/2" drill in aluminum?
    I was also wondering if you are bypassing the manual control all together.
    Your coolant pressure seems better than mine also, did you change the pump?

thanks,

Chris
    I will test 1/2 inch drill in aluminum when I get a chance. I am not using the Mikini main logic board at all. I will be adding a pendant to Mach3 soon (this weekend.). And I did change the coolant pump a while back with one from Grizzly because my Mikini pump stopped working, as did the oil pump, and the spindle control board, like 4 times, but I am not bitter about it our anything

Cad files for the motor mount and sideplates in step, iges, and dxf
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any more progress Allen?

Great thread and what an improvement the new motor and VFD make.

Makes me wonder about not having a gear change though. Just 2 speeds on the pulley seems like it might have made all the difference cutting steel. Despite all the power curves and such published with the electronics, it sure seems like mills and lathes that have 2 speeds perform better. I put a power curve option into G-Wizard after hearing enough Haas small mill owners complain about stalling the spindle or breaking cutters. It helped them quite a lot.

Not really an option here given available space, just an observation.

BTW, if the spindle won't keep up, you'll definitely break cutters right and left. The chipload will be very high as the feed keeps moving but you're not pulling out the chips at full rpms.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    Any more progress Allen?
    Well I can report I found a surplus aluminum place in commerce city all the aluminum you care to carry 2.50 a pound. Got some nice cast tooling plate there for 2.50 a pound :rainfro:

And I have been working on Sweeney's motor mount which is just about done just need to do the side plates.

Also someone sold me one of these for 150.00 with a 64GB Intel SSD in it. So I am testing it on the mill. And so far it works awesome. It was a little tricky getting my cut down version of Windows XP installed on it with all the right drivers but I finally did an so far it works great. It is super tiny about the size of a paperback. So it fits in the enclosure really nice.

Newegg.com - Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA AMD Hudson D1 1 x 204Pin AMD Radeon HD 6310 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System

Sounds like you found IMS, we have one here in AZ and I get a lot of my metal from them. Great prices when you can get it by the pound on their drops and cuts, but if you get into full lengths or sheets, shop around. I find better prices at a place called Coast Aluminum when I need larger quantities.. not long ago I bought a sheet and a half of 1/4" aluminum (three pieces 4' x 4') and they were about $200 cheaper than IMS.

That's like aluminum heaven! The mount is looking great, thanks, Allen! Once I get the project car out of my garage I'll have time and space to jump on the mill.

I just installed a 64g SSD in my mill computer. I had two drives fail me in the past year. I don't think the mechanical drives like the temperature changes

pete
    pete

I went SSD on the get go with the Mikini. Seemed like a "no brainer" to me. Even an easier choice now with how cheap they have become!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Progress on new control panel

Hi folks,

Here are some photos of the progress I have been making on the new control panel for the machine.

I did this on my laser cutter and engraver which I am fortunate to have. I started with a 1/4 inch piece of opaque acrylic just because I had it laying around scrap from another project. I laser cut the shapes out. And then I gave it a good key with a green scotchbrite pad and painted it with black satin Krylon Fusion paint for plastics. Then I engraved the piece. I then filled in the engraved part with white paint and wiped away the excess with a wet towel. The paint it still a bit soft right now so I think I will let it set up a day before I start the wiring up task.

Looks great! Lasers are perfect for that sort of thing, we used to use one from Universal Laser for part marking and making rubber stamps.

Have you used the machine any or do you need the control panel done to make it more livable in real world use?

If you have had a chance to do some more machining, what's your feedback? What are the risks/downsides as you see them? Anything have you worried for long-term reliability (spindle bearings?)?
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I have been using the machine regularly and it is working great. I am doing the control panel so that I can call the project done done. And also I have a need for the digital probe. So I wanted to mount the jack for that.

Risks and downsides I am not sure about. My biggest fear is that the Mikini is still not a very reliable machine and so something else might break. Sounds like Slowtwitch and SWATH are now having issues with their steppers maybe? So that worries me. The one potential downside is the Z axis stepper and the additional weight. Yes I offset it in theory with the gas springs but I am not sure if it has to work more or less with the gas springs in place. Hard to say. It may fail in time. Though there has been no sign of issues so far. If it does I will replace it with a bigger beefier stepper.

Overall I am really happy with the results and feel like I can just use the machine now without worrying constantly about the spindle stalling.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Have you used the machine any or do you need the control panel done to make it more livable in real world use?

If you have had a chance to do some more machining, what's your feedback? What are the risks/downsides as you see them? Anything have you worried for long-term reliability (spindle bearings?)?

Something else I have been thinking about is that I think for the most part the MPG is really unnecessary. Seems like 99.9% of the time I just use the keyboard keys to move axis for setup. I think I would skip the MPG if I was to do it over.

Page 9 of 17 7891011