what is cnc brain?
    what are its capabilities
    can it be used to change a cnc lathe to a different control

regards

benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by ironofeden View Post
    what is cnc brain?
    AFAIK it is brain dead?

Check out Dynomotion as a supported alternative.
    There is a forum for it here also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

A great idea and some good staring points.
    It seems the inventor(s) over-promised some features and severely underestimated the world of motion control.

While I was an early "I'm not believing this guy" I do think that they had a good starting point.
    Maybe not enough experience in bringing a product to market and the huge costs you run into.
    IMO this product was way under priced and some of the things they tried to tackle right out of the box where very difficult, if not impossible, to deliver.

I think Bruce found it easier to make money elsewhere.
    This must hurt him very deeply and one has to have been there to know what it feels like to abandoned your "baby".

I quit posting here as many did not want to hear my negative comments.

My heart goes out to Bruce, as at least for me the depression that follows one of these failures is a killer of your soul.

I do hope he finds a way to bring this back to life in some form.

Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Is this forum by others who have lost their money?
    Just a promise, not a product.
    Not good work, Bruce!

jr

jangtse,

I suggest you try to design an innovative product of your own and we'll see how you do. I'll applaud if you succeed do well. I won't criticize you if you fail because I know how hard it is to try with all your might and still come up short.

Some succeed and some fail but I honor people who have the courage to try doing something very hard.

Bruce's mistake was accepting orders before his work proved itself to be successful. He gambled his idea would work, it burned people when it didn't.

Innovative people always gamble; it's their faith in an idea that keeps them going. It makes them take risks putting their time and effort into making an idea real; they want to move what's in their mind into something that can be touched. Something that's real and works the way the idea said it would. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I gamble all the time but it's never in Las Vegas. I never gamble with other people's money because my company is successful enough to support such a non-productive individual as myself. My latest gamble is the G215; I think it may be everything the CNC Brain tried to be.

We'll see.

Mariss

It looks like the Dynomotion alternative is all that the Brain tried to be, at half the price.
    Al.

Albert E.

Welllll, there has been no one on here that has been a bigger supporter of Bruce than I, and I still am. Yes, it hurts to see those (like me) who bought a Brain only to have it go by the wayside. I suppose Mariss and Carbide Bob have the gist of what happened. I have stayed in touch with Bruce and know some of the ins and outs of what happened that may not have been revealed, but basically, Bruce did go to work for a branch of the gov. for financial stability for his family, and none of us would have done any less. He did get some local entities involved in trying to finalize the Brain, and (this I don't understand) in this process he basically lost control of the project, and those folks were not interested in the diy crowd! I have a message from Bruce saved on my computer that said, "I am going to have the kill the whole project to protect it"!

That is what he did. Now with that said, there is something else in the works that is better than the Brain, (no flames please)(flame2)(flame2)(flame2)

According to Bruce, it is smaller, more powerful and a lot less expensive. Now I have not seen it, nor used it, but I do believe him when he says he has it. I just today ask him to send me one, you know, for testing and such!!!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    That is what he did. Now with that said, there is something else in the works that is better than the Brain, (no flames please)(flame2)(flame2)(flame2)

According to Bruce, it is smaller, more powerful and a lot less expensive. Now I have not seen it, nor used it, but I do believe him when he says he has it. I just today ask him to send me one, you know, for testing and such!!!

Mike
    Well, I don't know that I have ever quoted myself, but I have something to report. I talked with Bruce last night, and discovered, the following. Those that bought the CNCbrain are screwed and the new system will not be released to the public. That literally took my by total surprise to hear that. I want all you guys that bought a Brain to know I did everything I could in my power to keep Bruce engaged and committed to the purchasers if no one else so their money would not have been wasted.

I haven't decided what I am going to do, but I will do something!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    I haven't decided what I am going to do, but I will do something!

Mike
    How do you see it personally compared to Dynomotion?
    Which is a viable, well supported working system, the features of which appear to do what the Brain was supposed to?
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Al,

I was on the ph with Tom from Dynomotion this afternoon. While it looks like that is the direction I will go, it does not remove the bitterness from my mouth of having to eat crow here in front of the world for all the support I gave a man, more than a product. I cannot tell you how dissappointed I was last night when I heard what I heard. It has to do with a persons word, an committment.

I am still going to hook my Brain up and run it at least once, just for the pure determination.

Mike

Have you looked at linuxcnc? You can get commercial grade interface hardware that is inexpensive. Linuxcnc is very flexible and allows closing the control loop within the software. (all tuning and config in one place). (plus it is free and opensource)

You can get mesa 6 axis analog interface (6+/-10v ouputs, 6 encoder interfaces(ttl or differential) and 48i/o + expandable) for $239 Simiar with stepper interface for $200.

LinuxCNC.org
    supported hardware
    LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNC Supported Hardware

sam