585,578 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > How loud is the Seig X3? Apartment friendly?

How loud is the Seig X3? Apartment friendly?

Picking up an X3 soon, I just moved into a 3 bedroom apartment and don't have access to a shop at the moment. Is the CNC converted X3 loud enough to be heard by or drive the neighbors crazy? Going to be cutting aluminum. I could invest in some soundproofing if needed. Going to dedicate the machine to it's own room. Hope to receive some input on this subject.

I would say that the X3 is pretty loud for inside an apartment.
    You probably will have the neighbors up in arms, But if you put it in an enclosure and sound proof the enclosure you should be able to get away with it. And if you are cutting aluminum, the enclosure will keep most of the swarf inside the enclosure.
    You will have to get creative on chip collection if you have it in your apartment or the chips will migrate all over your apartment.
    I can have a normal level conversation with someone right next to the mill if the enclosure is closed, but if its open I would think its too load for an apartment.

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

great thanks for the reply, I guess I'll play around with some sound proofing. Is the SX3 less noisy?

No, not at all on the SX3, the biggest part of the noise there is the slop in the pulley to spline. If noise is an issue, I would recommend the X2 with the belt drive. Smaller workspace, but direct pulley to shaft connection and it makes it very quiet. Only motor noise and cutting noise at that point.

I have a Belt driven X2 setting beside my SX3 and the noise is huge difference. I will have my SX3 that quiet soon though.

Great thanks, so X2 is the most quite followed by SX3 then X3 right?

I know this is an old thread, but I think the SX3 is very quiet. The spindle does rattle, but the sound does not travel through wall or floors. I'm currently living in an apartment. I have no reservations about running my machine at night.

I've had my X3 in my apartment for.... 4 years now?

At some point along the way I removed the gears and use a pulley system now which is much quieter. I think my neighbors approved.

I run flood coolant. An enclosure is a must to keep the swarf at bay. My girlfriend complains of aluminum chips in the bed but it makes for a nice running joke.