585,683 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Granite Devices > VSD-EX with BLD 300 Motor

VSD-EX with BLD 300 Motor

I purchased the VSD-EX drive, the VSD breakout board, and BLD motor from you about a year ago while living in Mongolia. I have returned to the US and had some time to try and set this up on my test bench. I have read through all of the post and manuals and no luck getting the motor to rotate. This is a REV2 board. I am able to connect with the GD tools with no problems and I did a firmware update which worked with out a problem. I have checked and re-checked the wiring to the motor and nothing.

When I connect power to the board I get the solid blue light. I downloaded the motor config file for the 300 motor and when I hit test nothing happens for a 30 seconds and then the blue light blinks a couple of time and GD tools reports that no encoder counts occured.

If I reset the drive, the motor will rotate a few degrees in one direction and that is all. I can rotate the motor freely with or without power to the drive. If I rotate the motor by hand during the test GD tools reports that there is an encoder count that varies by how fast I turn it. I make one revoulution and I can get from app 4000 counts if I turn it slow to 300 counts if I rotate it faster.

I don't seem to have an issue with connections, I have power after the fues, a solid blue light. If I rotate the motor by hand the blue light goes out and the red light begins to blink. I am assuming that this indicates a count fault.

Any insight into what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Ragan

It's just probably a settings error. Please post saved .drc file from GDtool so I can check it.

Thanks for the reply. I am attaching the file that I was using. I see I did not include a lot of information about my test setup. My connections are the same as in the getting started guide. I have 12V input on the control and I have 30Vdc input to the HV+ and HV-. I think it is probably something simple but I don't know where to start.

I just discovered I cannot upload the file as is so I changed the extension to txt. Hope that works
    Attached Files Attached Files

Settings seem almost ok. One thing that might cause this is very low current limit values. Try putting at least 2 to 5A to all three current boxes and set fault current to 10A for instance.

Does motor shaft turn easily when blue is blinking at power on? Should not.

Yes, the motor shaft turns without any resistance. I will try setting the current and let you know if it changes anything.

It is now working. I tried adjusting the current settings and some how got the blue light blinking which according to the manual means that the drive was disabled by the user. I could not get that to go off so I finally opened the original motor file and hit set and the drive reset and is now working.

Thanks,

Larry