585,760 active members*
3,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > How to rotate a part in nesting

How to rotate a part in nesting

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!!

I need to cut quite a few identical parts on my plasma table, but I would like to orient them so I don't waste too much material.
    If I nest the parts to a grid, there's too much material left that could otherwise be used.
    Picture a shape like the letter "U" !! How could I flip that shape 180 degrees, and place one leg of it into the other?
    Another example would be triangles. How could I cut a bunch of triangles with zero waste? If I could rotate every second part, they would all line up.
    Thanks
    Danno
    The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !!
    www.dantechfabricating.com

Just draw two of the parts nested together how you would like them, then repeat those on your grid.

in Sheetcam after using array to place them use the up down left right keys to move or rotate the parts < >

When using the nesting utility in Alphacam I can check the "rotate parts" box and then the "max possible" box and it'll figure out rotating the part on its own, but if you are manually nesting then definitely just draw the pair and then repeat that works out to be fastest with least waste... If there are rights and lefts you have to mirror one and you can just draw it as a pair anyway...

Just draw two of the parts nested together how you would like them, then repeat those on your grid.
    I already have the drawings done , so I can't redraw them. Most of the cad drawings I use are sent to me so I was never the original creator.

in Sheetcam after using array to place them use the up down left right keys to move or rotate the parts
    After using "array", I can move the parts using the up and down arrows, but I can't rotate the part !!

When using the nesting utility in Alphacam I can check the "rotate parts" box and then the "max possible" box and it'll figure out rotating the part on its own

I'm using Sheetcam, not Alphacam.
    The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !!
    www.dantechfabricating.com

select the part and use the shift < > keys to rotate ( , . )

Also by the check boxes to mirror in X and/or Y are inputs for X,Y & A. You can enter a degree angle in the A input box to rotate the selected part to that specific angle.

My Blog
    http://www.needfulthings.net/tulsaturbo/myblog/index.php