585,778 active members*
4,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 2012 Patriot

Page 1 of 2 12

2012 Patriot

Are 2011 and 2012 Patriots the same?

I think there are some new features for 2012- They now supply a pre-configured PC with the machine, the mill head lift is now driven by the cnc and the X axis ball screw is down the center of the casting. Don't take my word for it though- best to check with them directly.

Gulbrandr

Thanks. Just picked up a 2012 and need to hurry home and play with it. Thanks again.

Also bought a 2012 Shopmaster Patriot

Powered up my new machine for the first time today.

My PC had some corrupted files. Shopmaster emailed replacements quickly.

My Gecko drive board shows a red light (fault).

Anybody know how to make it green (power)?

:violin:

There is a switch on the back of the driver for the charge pump. It needs to be turned off for it to work. That was the problem with mine. Also, mine had been configured wrong in software as to pinouts, axes, etc. It provided me with an opportunity for a bit of learning, which is always a good thing!

Terrycan,
    Gald to hear you bit the bullet and bought a machine. It's been a while since you looked at mine. Congrats... I'm sure JT can help you with the error light...

Mark -

This is my first post. I just received my Shopmaster from JT two weeks ago. I had the same issue with the fault light on the Gecko drive board. I did some research and was able to get mine to work. The charge pump is a safety device that prevents your computer from accidentally moving your stepper motors before Mach III comes up to speed and controls everything correctly. If you turn the charge pump off, there is a chance that you can have one or all of the steppers move as the computer is booting up or as you are loading Mach III. The Mach III parallel port driver should be outputing a charge pump signal on Pin 16 of the cable. This can be setup in Config / Ports and Pins / Output signals. Scroll down to Charge Pump and make sure it is enabled, Port # is 1, Pin number is 16 and Active low is not selected.

Once this is setup, the driver will send the charge pump signal to the Gecko and turn the light green. To do this, switch the charge pump switch on the Gecko to on. Then you don't have to worry about inadvertant movement!

I hope this helps. I'm really excited about practicing with my Shopmaster and I know I'll have a lot of questions for everyone.

Al

Got the green light. Now soft limits.

The machine is moving. Discovered there are no limit or home switches. My concern is traveling the machine beyond it's limits. JT tells me it stalls and is no big deal. That is not the case with industrial machines.

Any body have experience setting the soft limits?

gulbrandr

I'm using mach 3 software and I'm confused about the mach turn wizards. The 2 axis used in the wizards are x and z. I don't get the z axis, that is my mill. what am I missing? I should think x and y. Thanks for any help. :drowning:

lathe or mill

You mention lathe wizards and say "This is my mill."

Are you using a lathe wizard on your mill?

Z axis is usually the center line of the spindle.

If your machine is a Shopmaster Patriot in the lathe mode the mill spindle would not move in Z.

The machine as delivered does not have the spindles talking to the PC.

Is your machine brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by Quadramaster View Post
    Terrycan,
    Gald to hear you bit the bullet and bought a machine. It's been a while since you looked at mine. Congrats... I'm sure JT can help you with the error light...

Mark -
    Thanks Mark

Haven't made any chips yet. Plan to do that soon.

Currently working on wiring the spindle so they are controlled by Mach III.

My comfort zone is growing.

Control Spindle with Mach III

I am setting my machine so Mach III controls the spindles. The wiring is done. The Mach III settings have been changed.

I am stuck on the CNC VFD Settings.

Q: Are the CNC VFD Settings changed at the PC or the machine?

:cheers:

gulbrandr

Terrycan
    thanks for answering, I have a 2012 patriot and I am new to this hobby. The z axis moves my mill up and down, x moves the bed left and right and y moves the bed away and to the operator? I run mill wizards with no problem, but the lathe wizards move the bed left and right and the mill up and down. I need to cut some threads, so I need to get this figured out.
    Thanks for your help.

Wink Spindle Control

Look at the spindle control on the machine.
    There is a switch for lathe or mill.
    Is the switch on lathe when you are using the lathe wizard?

I am in the process of setting Mach III to control the spindles.

JT has been very patient and helpful.

Ask JT if you can single point threads with the machine as delivered.

Terry

Yes, spindle control switch is on lathe. Better question, if the z axis is the mill spindle why does the mach turn wizard use x and z instead of x and y?

Wink spindle centerline is always Z axis

Lathes use the X and Z axis. The Z axis is always the spindle center line in both lathes and mills. The X axis controls the diameter.

For example: To drill with a lathe send the drill to X0.0. The face of the part should be Z 0.0. To drill 1 inch deep you send the drill to Z-1.00.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I get z axis being the spindle center line in both mill and lathe. But say I've been running mach3 mill wizards [which run fine] then switch to mach3 lathe, what must I change to switch z axis from mill to lathe? Of course the spindle control switch changes the motors but not the steppers. The mill stepper operates in mach lathe. I tried changing active plane of movement in general config but it keeps changing back even with restart. I hope this makes sense cause I'm certainly confused.

lathe or mill

I have been a machinist since 1974 but the shopmaster and Mach III are new to me.

Don't think you should have to reconfiquire every time you switch from lathe to mill.

A good approuch for you would be to take a basic CNC class at a local vocational school or community college. That could be your fastest way to making chips.

Do you have a local friend who is a machinist?

Terry

:idea:

Quote Originally Posted by Gulbrandr View Post
    Ok, I get z axis being the spindle center line in both mill and lathe. But say I've been running mach3 mill wizards [which run fine] then switch to mach3 lathe, what must I change to switch z axis from mill to lathe? Of course the spindle control switch changes the motors but not the steppers. The mill stepper operates in mach lathe. I tried changing active plane of movement in general config but it keeps changing back even with restart. I hope this makes sense cause I'm certainly confused.
    You should have 2 different icons for lathe and mill. In mill, the motors run one direction and in lathe they run the opposite. Also in the lathe mode, the Z axis becomes the longitudinal feed and the X axis becomes the cross feed. This is done in the ports and pins settings in your configuration file. Double check that somehow, the settings for mill have not been loaded into the lathe file.

instructor37

Thanks, I knew it was something simple. Corrupt files, John sent me new hml files and now my lathe acts like a lathe, not a mill.
    Thanks for your time.

Page 1 of 2 12