585,700 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Help identifying a Bridgeport Boss 8 R2E3 Electronic Part

Help identifying a Bridgeport Boss 8 R2E3 Electronic Part

Well, now I've done it. My Boss 8 R2E3 is pretty finicky in her old age, especially when it is hot or cold. I get the “2” error when it is hot and have to let the machine idle with the servo drives enabled forever (~2hrs) when it is cold in the garage before it will home itself. I have learned over the years that removing and reseating what appears to be a crystal oscillator in the front control panel electronics clears the “2” error. I did that last night and one of the pins snapped off the part. Now I am in desperate need to find a replacement since I have products that I sell made on this old beast.

The issue is that the part number and other information wore off the chip so I am not sure what the replacement would be. It seems to be a 4-pin configuration crystal oscillator – I’m not sure what the frequency is (1 Mhz or 4 Mhz perhaps?).

Could anyone snap a picture of the chip in question or provide the part number/information on it?

I have attached a picture of the inside of my control panel with the replacement part that I need circled in red. Again, I am desperate to find a replacement part and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

wundertat

Re: Help identifying a Bridgeport Boss 8 R2E3 Electronic Part

I was able to figure out the part number thanks to a picture of an EMC2 board for sale on eBay.

It is a Motorola K1160AA 4.000-8.000Mhz crystal oscillator. It is an obsolete part, but I was able to buy a new old stock replacement from a distributor that deals in older components. It was Quest Components (Electronic Component Distributor | Quest Components) in Industry, CA.

If anyone has any advice on how to solve the issue of the axis drives tripping when first trying to home the machine when it is cold, I would appreciate it. It's getting pretty old waiting such a long time for the machine to warm up enough to home properly.

Thanks again,

wundertat

Re: Help identifying a Bridgeport Boss 8 R2E3 Electronic Part

First off - I've gutted a couple Boss mills for retrofits, I'll poke around and see if I've got that board / extra spares. Slew of boards, rectifiers, transistors, etc in those things.

2nd - call me crazy but considered running heater for a little while before firing up machine? Or possibly keeping at least some heat around machine overnight? Bet issues are rooted in condensation from the warm / cold cycles. Back in the day I had to warm the distributor of my VW with hair drier for while so dang car would start in cold / wet weather, might be handy here too.

Hi SchortBus - Do you still have Bridgeport Boss control parts? I have a Boss 10; whihc is mostly runable and looking for a EAF 1939-9423 card. thanks, Dan Becker