584,861 active members*
5,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > T-Slot CNC building > How do I cut t-slot profiles?

How do I cut t-slot profiles?

Really silly qiestion, I know...

How do I cut t-slot profiles so it still looks nice?

And how would I cut in an angle?

I mean, what machine is suggested?

Many have had success using tablesaws & SCMS. IIRC, WD40 was used as a lubricant. I have no experience cutting it myself, just relaying what I have read here in other posts. I'm sure other with experience will chime in shortly.
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Your question has merit. If it is aluminum extrusion, I have used a 10" compound miter saw (check it to be square!) with a metal cutting wheel. However, it gets very hot-so allow the wheel to cool off. Also, make sure the miter saw is properly secured and that the material is clamped. In addition, use an angle plate as a stop so that all the sections come out with he same dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by EKFER View Post
    Your question has merit. If it is aluminum extrusion, I have used a 10" compound miter saw (check it to be square!) with a metal cutting wheel.
    ...a miter saw with a metal cutting wheel... That's low cost enough for me! Thanks!

I use a miter saw with a non-ferrous metal cutting saw blade. I wouldn't use a cutting wheel.

I've also used a regular carbide tipped blade as well, with a wd40 as a lubricant.

Miter saw with a carbide blade for cutting non-ferrous metals and ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) as a cutting fluid (better than WD40). Make sur the blade is the type with the laser cut anti-vibration slots and you can get a finish that is almost mirror smooth. Fabricate a jig using wood to hold your material in a consistent manner and with a bit of care you can get better than 0.01" accuracy.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks guys! I have some additional question!

What size I should get? Seems there is 8", 10" and 12". I want to cut the normal square profiles, and maybe sometimes the double square (hence rectangular) ones.

Can a miter saw hold a cutting wheel? (just in case I have some steel stick to cut, such as those ball screw sticks)

Hi yello: please check Geof suggestion for aluminum. Use a cut-off disk for steel. Wear goggles! Good luck

For aluminum you want to use a carbide toothed saw blade. For steel you want to use an abrasive cutoff wheel. Both can be used on the same saw however the abrasive wheels really make a mess of the saw and they throw off a LOT of hot sparks so you want to make sure you watch any plastic on the saw so it doesn't start burning. Most chop saws meant for steel cutting don't have plastic parts, the ones for wood (which is what you will probably use for the aluminum) often have a lot of platic parts. Common sense will prevail in any case.

Matt

I just did my first extrusion cutting. I used a Diablo brand 10" blade from Home Depot. It's ment for non-ferrous metals and plastic.

Worked like a champ!