585,902 active members*
4,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm plasma quench

I started looking for an additive for my plasma water table long before I started my build, and now that I have my table up and running, I still can't get my hands on this "mysterious" additive.
    I see members posting recipes using Sodium Nitrate, but that stuff turns into a carcinogen when hit by the plasma arc, so I refuse to use it !!
    I got hold of Praxair this morning to see if they could get anything, and they called back after speaking to their "Sales Tech Guy". They want to sell me Hypertherm part# 028872.
    I don't think this is the right stuff, because I think that this product is a coolant to be used inside the torch handle to keep it cool ( like a water cooled TIG torch)
    Does Hypertherm really make a product for water tables, or is Praxair blowing smoke up my anus?
    Thanks, Dan
    The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !!
    www.dantechfabricating.com

Hypertherm does not have a water table additive....the part number you have listed is a coolant for Hypertherms liquid cooled systems (basically all systems of 130 amps and larger in the product line).

The product named "Plasma Quench" comes from Koal Industries Elk
    Grove Village IL 847 956 9720. Last I heard they were either out of business....or were just not answering their phones....but I would suggest trying them.

I would be wary of "home brew" water table additives unless the recipes came from a knowledgeable chemist. Mixing chemicals will the intense UV and temperatures involved with plasma could create dangerous reactions.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I started looking for an additive for my plasma water table long before I started my build, and now that I have my table up and running, I still can't get my hands on this "mysterious" additive.
    I see members posting recipes using Sodium Nitrate, but that stuff turns into a carcinogen when hit by the plasma arc, so I refuse to use it !!
    I got hold of Praxair this morning to see if they could get anything, and they called back after speaking to their "Sales Tech Guy". They want to sell me Hypertherm part# 028872.
    I don't think this is the right stuff, because I think that this product is a coolant to be used inside the torch handle to keep it cool ( like a water cooled TIG torch)
    Does Hypertherm really make a product for water tables, or is Praxair blowing smoke up my anus?
    Thanks, Dan

hope this helps

I bought some of the last plasma quench and it worked well,then you could not get it anymore. I found this place two years ago and have been happy with what they sell me. It seems to work just like plasma quench.Name of the place if PICO CHEMICAL CORP. Pico Chemical Corporation. I bought the 15 gal drum, it was cheaper than two 5 gal pails. Can't remember the exact price but is was about the same as plasma quench. It was at my door step in two days and the trucker bought a cutout from me. How cool, check it out,,,,,,,,CURLY

Quote Originally Posted by curlyweld View Post
    I bought some of the last plasma quench and it worked well,then you could not get it anymore. I found this place two years ago and have been happy with what they sell me. It seems to work just like plasma quench.Name of the place if PICO CHEMICAL CORP. Pico Chemical Corporation. I bought the 15 gal drum, it was cheaper than two 5 gal pails. Can't remember the exact price but is was about the same as plasma quench. It was at my door step in two days and the trucker bought a cutout from me. How cool, check it out,,,,,,,,CURLY
    Thanks Curly;
    I unfortunately live North of the border, and getting chemicals shipped here is basically non-existent !!
    Whatever product I use, has to come from Canada. It's a real PITA doing anything up here.
    Dan

There is a company in Ohio called Chemical Methods that sells a plasma water table additive. I had them send me the msds sheets, and they use the same chemical that the home brew plasma quench uses, which is sodium nitrite. I'll try to attach the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Jim;
    I read the MSDS, and although Sodium Nitrite is less than 15%, I still wouldn't use it. It looks safe enough to use by reading the sheet, but what they don't tell you is that the plasma arc will turn it into Sodium Nitrate, which is nasty stuff.
    I found this place and spoke to the chemist that developed it. He claims you can drink this stuff and it wont kill you. I think I will give it a try. They claim it works great in plasma tables.
    Home
    Dan

Danno,

I'm a little confused by the last post. Which product did you decide to use?

Also, what does the additive actually do?

I am a newbie who is seriously wanting to get into plasma CNC so I lurk here on the forum a lot but don't have a machine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tedgley View Post
    Danno,

I'm a little confused by the last post. Which product did you decide to use?

Also, what does the additive actually do?

I am a newbie who is seriously wanting to get into plasma CNC so I lurk here on the forum a lot but don't have a machine yet.
    The bottom line is don't use a plasma water additive that contains Sodium Nitrite.
    Sodium Nitrite will change to Sodium Nitrate when you shoot a plasma arc into it. This now becomes a carcinogen !!
    There's a few homemade recipes floating around in here for plasma quench, but they all require the use of Sodium Nitrite. Even some comercially available additives contain this, so keep away from it.
    What the additive does is prevent rust forming on your table and parts. There also an antibacterial in it so the water doesn't go skunky.
    At the moment, I'm running plain tap water, but there's rust on everything !!

So far the only thing I've found is this ---->Home

Re: Hypertherm plasma quench

I bought the additive from shopsabre cnc called plasma defense. The cost wasn't bad at $150 and it shipped premixed on UPS the same day to me. I have a 4' table that used only a portion of my 5 gallons the first time I filled my table - 3% dilution is what I was told to use and I have had no rust build up on the table or material. I would call them or go to the website for more info. CNC Routers - CNC Plasmas | Shopsabre CNC and just get their phone number.

There is a product called GreenCut . GreenCut Plasma Water Table Fluid for CNC Plasma Cutting It is expensive but it works well and it is suppose to be safe to handle and it is also safe when it vaporizes. We came across this product a couple years ago when we started to question what we were breathing with the typical water treatment products.

Sorry. Here is the link to GreenCut. GreenCut Plasma Water Table Fluid for CNC Plasma Cutting