585,991 active members*
4,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Setting a part's origin MasterCam X5

Setting a part's origin MasterCam X5

Hey guys, I'm new to both the Fadal VMC 15XT that we are using and also to MasterCam. Any and all help is appreciated. Here is my setup.

When I look into the machine doors, Y is to me/away from me, X is to the right/left.

If I place a block in my machine, I want the forward most edge to be Y-zero, and the left most edge to be X-zero. I can do that easily with my edge finder and the SETX and SETY commands.

In MasterCam, however, I CANNOT seem to get it to set the same corner as the stock's origin. For some reason, it wants to call the parts center the origin. How can I get it to use the same stock origin as what I'm declaring in the Fadal.

The reason I have the Fadal's origin the way it is is because we have a vice in there and it is setup so that we can easily place parts in the vice.

Just to let you also know, I'm creating my parts in SolidWorks and opening them through MasterCam X5. Once I do that, I show the Right View, then do an XForm Rotate at 90, then proceed with declaring the machine and trying to setup the stock.

Thanks in advance,

Is there a UCS in solidworks? mastercam would take this into account as your zero automatically. I know it works with autocad, not sure about solidworks. Also in mastercam you can translate the zero point on your part to the origin quite easily using the xform command. Also i believe in stock setup you can pick the stock origin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sklemp View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to both the Fadal VMC 15XT that we are using and also to MasterCam. Any and all help is appreciated. Here is my setup.

When I look into the machine doors, Y is to me/away from me, X is to the right/left.

If I place a block in my machine, I want the forward most edge to be Y-zero, and the left most edge to be X-zero. I can do that easily with my edge finder and the SETX and SETY commands.

In MasterCam, however, I CANNOT seem to get it to set the same corner as the stock's origin. For some reason, it wants to call the parts center the origin. How can I get it to use the same stock origin as what I'm declaring in the Fadal.

The reason I have the Fadal's origin the way it is is because we have a vice in there and it is setup so that we can easily place parts in the vice.

Just to let you also know, I'm creating my parts in SolidWorks and opening them through MasterCam X5. Once I do that, I show the Right View, then do an XForm Rotate at 90, then proceed with declaring the machine and trying to setup the stock.

Thanks in advance,

You need to start at square one...the "real" square one...with some instructional books. The WCS is what you are after regarding part origin. You don't need to transform any geometry. I suggest getting some MCAM books that walk through a bunch of basic setups and actually going through the motions this way...Setting up a part step by step the correct way now will help you in the long run.

Is this a new seat of MCAM? If it is, then get your reseller to give you some instruction. They normally give you a class or 2 when you purchase the software. Otherwise, I am sure they can get you some beginner books.
    Tim

Thanks for the suggestions. You are right in that I need to get some books or some classes. I've been exploring the options of some online tutorials. I plan to start on those soon.

The WCS feature is exactly what I was missing. I was so caught up in the Stock Setup screen that I simply overlooked the obvious solution.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,