584,879 active members*
5,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Dumb question, but not so dumb??

Dumb question, but not so dumb??

This past year, I wanted to buy a new st10 turning center. I backed out of it, when I discovered the new safety features dont really fit our onesy twosy jobs we do. Simple things like hand polishing or even facing a part and being able to see it while doing so, are impossible now. We purchased a used 08 sl10 instead. BUTTT, there is coming a point, in which I need NEW equipment, not used, and I know Im going to be pissing and moaning about simple day to day functions with them.

So, my question is this, on a new milling center, if the spindle will only go to 750 rpm with the door open, how in the world are you using an edge finder?? (since they work best around 1400 - 1500). Are you forced into an electric unreliable one?? Are you forced into some sort of expensive tool probe?? What is your process to do the most simplest of tasks when the machine itself wants to stop you from doing it????

Yes, dumb question I know, but not so dumb on this end.
    Gary

The simple answer is make yourself a copy of the door key. The one that engages the lock. Put a lanyard on it marked for set up only.

Unscrew the key and stick it in the lock.

Do so at your own risk

You can use a larger diameter edge finder, or just run yours at 750. 750 is not the optimum speed, but it still works.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Buy the probe option, you won't regret it. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxergary View Post
    how in the world are you using an edge finder?
    Yes. That is a dumb question. But, I can add a dumb question. What in the world is an edge finder?
    Oh, yeah - it is the stupid thing used to find edges on my manual bridgeport mill...

Get probes and get on with it. Search for probing on EVERY one of these sites and see how many people would go back to edgefinders(nuts)

(or just over-ride the system like pretty much everyone does...lol - not me though!)
    Tim