Thread: Rough Balls

Rough Balls

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325929064.153387.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	149688

Hi guys,
    Anyone know if it's possible to reball (not sure if that's the right term). This type of ballscrew. I bought a set X,Y,Z this one being Z. Now the x& y are great super smooth, just z is a little sticky, I'm sure 420oz motors will still turn it but thought I'd ask if anyone knows how too fix the sticky problem ?. There is no rust on the actual screw , & tried greasing it . I've only found info on reballing the types with the external tubes. Also don't see how or where the balls can be removed or inserted on this type. There are 3 small red plugs around outside as shown in photo with the number 2 & 4 on them.not sure how they would be removed. Any thoughts would be appreciated , thanks
    Riche

Anyone with any suggestions would be great
    Cheers

Bump please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I used the same kind of screw on a router. It seemed stiff and tight when I first got it. After running it for a while it smoothed out. I would suggest you use it for a while and see what happens. That same screw is still good after 2 years of regular use and has worked great.

Ben

Rough Balls

Thanks for reply, but this isn't a new screw & isn't the one in the pic. (But same screw) It's on my y axis now 1200mm. What happens is it seems to click / jump not much but does Make quite a loud click , it doesn't seem to affect the job.
    Suppose my question is has anyone got some info on maybe re-balling this type of screw , that doesn't have external tubes.
    Cheers

Maybe you are missing a ball? Just a thought.
    Lowell

the click sound says that.. beyond it is annoying,,, it might cause no issue..

it is possible to reball, but question how much youll reduce backlash.. when you reach 0.01-0.02 mm from there nut is tightening up
    also take into account if you take it apart, then ,,, can you put together?

if you damage those plastic plugs, what is very possible, then can you replace them? do you have spare part?
    can you define the necessary diameter of balls?
    or you have to buy 10-20 set of balls differing 0.002 mm from each other ?

press some grease into the nut and click might be eliminated.. if it were mine, I wouldn't think a minute long to taking apart..
    without prior experiment and tools you can ending up very easily to buying a new..

just my two cent

Rough Balls

Thanks for replies , funny thing is it's a 1200mm screw but only clicks in one spot , let's say 300mm up the screw , inspected the screw it's self & doesn't seem to be damaged, my only thought now is it's slightly miss aligned , I will try loosening the fixing at that end of screw to see if it's that. Funny though as it's only started recently & not when first built , as it's quite a solid build.
    Anyway
    Cheers guys