584,800 active members*
4,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DX32 Controller Software Install Options???

Hello all,
    Working through my hard drive replacement and on install of DX32 software I am presented with a options screen (See Picture). Simple enough, however I have a Discovery 308, which is not on the list. Can someone please help me out with this? Which machine is closest to mine?

List includes:
    VMC 760/16
    VMC 800/22
    VMC 1000/22
    TORQ CUT-22
    TORQ CUT-30
    TC-1
    TC-2
    TC-3
    TC-4

Thanks,
    CD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DX32options.jpg  

Ok, so I just selected VMC-760/66 and then it asked,
    "Is this a CIB Machine? Y/N"

so if you could answer that one...please

Note: The install is on a test PC. so I don't care about making errors at this point.

Thanks
    CD

CIB = Control in a box. Those have BMDC boards, and half size all in one mother boards.

Your 308 probably has a FMDC and none of these apply.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Machintek, thanks for the feedback.

Maybe my machine is a bastard but please see the attached pics. Is that a BMDC board or other? I will get better pics tomorrow of the control board.

I also included some pics from the original paper manual that I got when I bought the machine a few years back.

The picture in the manual matches my machine, if that means anything.

Also, please see “crazypic” that is what happens on my test pc after I type “run” at the C: prompt.
    I think it is “looking for the BMDC board and because this is a test pc with no BMDC, it bugs out a little. I can see the DX32 text based logo fly by, with some other familiar items (machine check,etc.) followed by the stuff in “crazypic” and then it returns to a C: prompt.

I think it may work if it could see a BMDC or other, but it can’t right now. And as you pointed out, I may not have applicable software on hand right now anyway.

Thought…anyone,

Thanks,
    CD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 308ManualCover.jpg   308PicfromManual.jpg   BMDCinContents.jpg   BMDCorOther.jpg  

Crazypic.jpg  

I was looking at your pics and I dont see any ribbon cable coming from your BMDC board.
    Also the crazypic picture is the same thing I got after loading my new software.
    I believe you should get the DX32 splash screen then Executive Load:/Please wait,there should be a spinning / sign then BMDC running!
    I would get all those characters scrolling then the BMDC Running!
    I had to load an ANSI.sys file (I believe-been awhile)that gave me back the spinning/.
    It looks like right now it is attempting to load the BMDC that is not there
    I wish I would have noted everything I ran into and what it took to solve
    the issue ,Its too hard to remember 2 months later.
    Seems I had to enable it in the config.sys file also.
    Someone on here will know what to do.
    I pretty much fumbled through this till I got it working
    I will look back through some stuuf and try to find how I got this fixed
    I made a backup disc once I had my machine running and need to get it to you along with a different DX32 disc Ver 4.79.22
    Let me try here to copy them from my floppy to send you

Cncbpt, your right about the ribbon cable.

Up until this point I have been testing on a different pc, not my machine pc. I had all the cables off to neaten things up and mount the new DOM. So, the pic of the control board IS my actual machine board. BTW, anyone know by that limited picture if it is a BMDC??

I still need to determine if I can choose another machine from the list provided (see prior posts).

Looking for more input on the DX32 software, if I can’t use one of those machines on the prior list, then I need to look further for more software.

Thanks a lot to everybody for helping out. Tomorrow, I will load software on the PC in my machine, were it can hopefully (fingers crossed) see the control board.

Thanks,
    CD

I sent you files again like last time
    I canot get yahoo to send them
    These are the same as on my mill right now
    Hope these work good
    Good Luck
    I wish I would of kept a Log of HOW TO for this

Hi all,

This will be a little of track. One of the members here spammed me via PM this morning with “Wrong Software” and an offer to sell me a DOM, service call, etc.

Dude!!! You know who you are!! This is not cool!! You can see I am wrestling with this machine a little and instead of earning my business by helping me and others out in the public forum, you use the old BS tactics.

1) Scare = “wrong software”
    2) Solution to being scared = "I can sell you”.

You could have at least added some value and done this publicly with some free guidance like all the others have, and then when I ran into something I could not handle, maybe I would have asked for your paid services.

I’m not looking for a war or to police these forums, but I took the time to address this publicly because at the very least, regardless of any CNCZONE policies regarding Private Message spam you action was in bad taste.

So this is my polite way of saying, “don’t spam me please”. I have been gentlemen. I have not mentioned you or your company. I hope you let this slid by…let it go..

In the words of Rambo, “I give you a war you can’t believe”…Nobody beats me at the podium, Nobody..LOL

On a more serious note, I know times are tuff, I know your just trying to make a living like the rest of us, but some tactics just do more harm than good. If you are the guy I am thinking of, we have already bought stuff from you in the past and been happy….

A good day to all…and I still need the controller software for my machine. See prior posts. A few more download links would be great…..maybe from a new anonymous friend…who wants to keep my business and earn the business of others…

CD

As you already know, you have a BMDC. If so you probably have Siemens drives in there too. This makes it the last generation of 308 machines. Not many around. Maybe when you say it has a TC22, it may work but at the end of installation, it will ask you for your parameter disk or it will create a generic parameter file. At that point, your parameter file may not work due to updated BMDC.bin will detect a mis match of parameter versions. Even if it makes a parameter file, it will require heavy editing such as travel limits, number of tools, use of a gearbox, drive tuning, etc.
    Probably your best bet would be to either get a back up disk from someone here that has the same generation machine and his parameter file. I do not remember what version of DOS these may require. Might be 5. Then parameter editing would be limited to backlash, pitch error comp, tool change height, and orient, (I think).
    Also, PM me as to who spammed you. Thanks.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Machintek, thanks for the info…good stuff. Yes, I believe it does have Siemens drives.

If I said it is, or I have a TC-22, I made a mistake. It’s a Discovery 308, Also, I do have my BMDC back up, I recovered it.

So, I think all I need at this point is the MSR1013.ZIP file. I believe that has the correct controller software in it.

I am having A drive problems as well. I can’t get it to reliably load from the A drive. It operates intermittently. So I am loading the DOM at a host machine and then placing it in the BP. So far the work around is working.

If anyone can point me toward the controller for this beast, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    CD

Sorry what I had didnt work for you.
    I had the problems with the a drive working half the time too.
    I ended up finding on EBAY N.O.S 486-66 motherboards,new powersupply,
    Floppy ,I/O card and replaced cables from floppy and harddrive,loaded the dom and the machine doesnt give me any start up or run problems.
    Well worth the time and the investment probably wasnt even $200.
    It ended my problems ,once you find the right software you will be good to go.
    All this takes some time and aggravation but when your done you will know your machine well.
    GOOD LUCK!