585,712 active members*
4,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > DMM Tech’s DMB3621-4A Mach3 break-out board

Unhappy DMM Tech’s DMB3621-4A Mach3 break-out board

I have a machine that runs well. I would like to get the Z probe function working to complete the machine's ability. I have the programming seeming to work correctly. It will run, and if the plate is not touched the gantry will raise up one inch. With the readout stating probe not touched.
    My Mach3 settings are pin 15 port 1 active low. I'm using A axis limit switch for my probe because it is set as pin 15 The board wiring is hopefully explained here.
    JP5 Pin Function
    1 Optional output M_out17 ; isolated from PC
    2 Drive side ground
    3 A axis +/- limit switch
    Note: JP5’s 1, 2, and JP6’s 3 pins share the common ground 2. Board info located here Break-outBoard
    My understanding and one of the ways I've tried is. Plate wiring-negative is in JP5 pin 2. The positive wire is in pin 3. I have tried many different ways and adding resisters as well as compositors I've seen on the web. Nothing is working to show that the software sees the probe. I'm poking in the dark now. :stickpoke I've been trying to do this now for several months. Does anyone have an idea where I'm going wrong?

ytwin1

Are you using the Dmm xml file, if you are Port 1 Pin 15 is for the Estop & should not be changed

A axes is pin 9 step pin & 8 dir pin, when using the A axes you will have to turn off the charge pump or give it a different pin number

The charge pump has Port 1 Pin 9 so change this or turn it off when using the A axes port/plug
    Mactec54

Mactec54,
    I'm using a DMM xml file, but believe you are mistaking my board for the other one they sell. Mine is the cheaper of the two. I'm not using an "A" axis. My E-stop is pin 10 works well. My "A" axis limit switch is pin 15 that is why I'm using it. Are you still able to help?

nytwin1

That is correct I did not look at your board part number, I have only used the new boards
    I will see what I can find out, about your pin assingnment for that board, I thought they were the same

The assigned pin for the A axes limit switch, will have to used as the probe pin number in Ports & Pins
    Mactec54

mactec54

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

nytwin1

nytwin1

The problem I see is that you have no +5v volts at the JP5
    Mactec54

This is how I did it...

I ran 2 wires from the A axis up to the machine face and installed a female banana plug with + (orange wire) as the center and - to the machine for ground.

I used pin 13 for the PROBE and set it to active low like the picture shows.

My plate is made from aluminum top and HDPE bottom glued together and sanded to exactly .5" thick.

Hope that helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1(1).jpg   photo 2(1).jpg   photo 3.jpg   photo 4.jpg  

Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

kregan

You are using DMB 4250-8B Breakout board which is a different Board to what nytwin1 is using, What you have done will not work for his board DMB 3621-4A
    Mactec54

kregan

Thanks for sharing your set up, it will help anyone that has that Dmm Breakout-Board DMB4250-8B

Here is the photos of the 2 different Dmm Break-Boards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DMB4250-8B.JPG   DMB3621-4A.JPG  
    Mactec54

Mactec54
    I first have to say I'm electricly challanged. I got the 4.7ohm resistors and tried the
    setup as you suggested. I got no results. I did have 5 volt LED and touched both grounds
    for JP5 & JP6 and the LED lit up. Should it do that?
    Could there be something wrong with the board. Or is it just me?

Mactec54
    Could it be because I'm using a smoothstepper card before the breakout board?

Nytwin1

nytwin1

Yes this could be, But I don't know how you have set up your Boards, Do you have (2) PP pluged into the computer, a photo may help, of the (2) boards & how you have them Pluged/wired
    Mactec54

nytwin1

What I suggested before with using JP6 will not work, The PC Ground is Different to the board Ground, I had the post removed

You should only be using JP5 Pin1 & JP5 Pin2 If this is not working, you will have to go & check to see if the pin 15 on the smooth stepper board is matching up with your pin 15 on the DMM Board & what other setting you have to do with the smooth stepper to get it working

In the smooth stepper PDF they are showing Pin 13 for the probe setup, But that would not match the Dmm Board you have with pin 15
    Mactec54

Mactec54
    I've not gotten a chance to checkout the pin settings you are referring too.
    I don't remember any pin settings when setting up the SS. Here are some pics of my setup.
    Remember wiring is not my strong point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0116_modified.JPG   100_0254.JPG   100_0255.jpg  

Mactec54
    I solved the problem not the exact way you suggested, but you gave me the idea.
    The SS has 2 ports, and I had a C10 board form CNC4PC. So I connected it and added some power. Then with the 4.7 resistor you suggested. Hooked it up just as you told me to with the other board. Then tested 3 times with good consistency.
    Thank you very much for your help. I need to see about M6 tool changes now. Any suggestions?

nytwin1

That's great you have made some progress, I would have to know more of what you want to do with the M6

So you are using the second port on the SS, I have a SS so may play with it some time to see why you had to use the second port
    Mactec54