584,837 active members*
5,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC 1100 Fourth Axis Table as a C Axis

Tormach PCNC 1100 Fourth Axis Table as a C Axis

The 8" rotary table manual from Tormach clearly specifies the table can be used as a C Axis. In other words, instead of using it in its vertical mode, I can use it in its horizontal mode. YOu may be asking why on Earth would I do this? It is a CNC Machine!!!!

Well, as it turns out, using a rotary table as a C axis is an excellent way of expanding the XY table size. For example, the Y can only traverse about 10". But if I displace the Y features into the X side, I can then run larger stuff.

So this is all good and dandy. The question is, how do I tell Sprutcam to orient the table in the C Axis instead of the A Axis? I woud imagine this is doable, right? Thanks for your input!

You'll probably get better answers from the SprutCAM forum. Here's my guess, although I haven't tried it myself.

On the Transformation section of a toolpath, there's an option for Mode. Change this to Polar, and it looks like the toolpath will be made using X, Z and C axis moves.

I'd keep the cuts pretty light when working this way. The Tormach rotary table is good, but it does have some backlash. For large parts, that backlash will become a pretty large error.

Frederic

See my reply to your question in the Sprutcam forum!