584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Precision Matthews lathes?

Anybody in Canada ever deal with these guys (Quality Machine Tools - Quality Machine Tools Home) - I'm still about 1 month away from ordering the lathe but feedback on them would be appreciated. Here is where I stand as far as decision making goes:

I've done a lot of reading and the Grizzly lathes get a passing score (their G4002 / 4003/ 4003G) for quality and service.

Busy Bee just added another $100 to their lathe price ($3599 now "on sale") and it didn't get any better for it (CT043N) - they are out of the running...

So my last 2 candidates for 12x36 lathes are:
    Quality Machine Tools who sell the Precision Matthews PM1236 - this looks to be the same as the Busy Bee model with fully enclosed gearbox but with more accessories for less money:
    PM 1236 Metal Working Lathe

or the King Canada equivalent of the Grizzly G4003 Power Tools, Woodworking and Metalworking Machines by King Canada sold by a few places for ~$3500 plus S/H

So I'm pretty much sold on the PM1236 with the "preffered package" as its everything I'm looking for, 2nd would be Grizzly (save the money and buy the accessories myself), 3rd King Canada, 4th used (not many local 12x36 lathes show up) and last is Busy Bee.

Mike

need a 12x36 lathe?

I posted awhile back for feedback (but no response) on a distributor called
    Eisen Machinery I pretty sure they sell a Taiwan made 12x36 lathe (minus stand, tooling? ) for around $3500 What do you think? IMHO taiwan has better quality than mainland china

Mike,

I bought a Lathe PM12x36 from Quality Machine Tools over a year ago and I'm very happy with it. I had some issues with the delivery company. They smashed the box pretty hard somewhere during the transit and some parts were twisted and broken. But, Matt (Quality Machine Tools) sent me the replacement parts the day after.

There are 3 modifications that I made to the lathe:
    - Replaced the motor with a 3 phase Baldor motor and a VFD
    - Replaced the chuck with a Phase II
    - Replaced the tool post with a phase II

If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate on buying from Quality Machine Tools.

Carl

kayse,

The lathe offered by Eisen (1236GH) does not say anywhere that it is made in Taiwan or has a better casting than the others I've looked at. For that matter they don't even put the spec sheet up for the lathe or a price so I won't be oredering from them as I can't see it in person to get a feel for it.

Carl,

Why is the tool post not up to snuff? Same question for the chuck? I personnaly am using it for hobby stuff and I want the prefferd package cause it includes the QC tool post.

Thanks for the shipping feedback - I've heard a few stories like yours -the key being to note the damage on receipt of the equipment. This probably applies to all as the seller cannot make a claim for damage if the receiver doesn't note it. If the seller cannot make a claim then they are out of pocket to support you so your less likely to be helped from a shipping damages point of view.

As far as the motor goes - I hear you on the 3 phase motor - too bad nobody at this lathe size / price range even offers it with a 3 phase - then all I'd need is the VFD ( I have 1ph - 220VAC available). I'll probably keep teh motor till it gives up - depending how much I use it it may last a long time.

I guess I need to call / email them and see if they even ship to Canada - otherwise I may be planning a road trip for this spring...

Mike

It's been a while. Have you made a choice yet?

How do you like it?

I had ordered the PM1236 lathe and was about 1 1/2 months into waiting for it to show up when a used Standard Modern 13x34 showed up in my area (real close by). So I bought that and cancelled my order for the PM1236.

Mike