585,700 active members*
4,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

More dual axis homing issues

Hi Everyone,

I have just finished retrofitting my multicam router (big sucker 70"x140") rack and pinion.

Obviously at that size it's dual drive. It has prox switches on both drives to square the gantry when homing. I have everything hooked up via my C32 and my ethernet smooth stepper.

I have my A Axis slaved to X and I have the the direction pin active hi on the A axis and low on everything else. I have the homes set as negative and all the axis normal (ie not reversed). All motors are wired the same. Everything jogs great and the Z and Y axis home just fine BUT.... The XA / XB is a mess.

Here's what happens. Whatever axis hits first does its little bounce off the home switch just fine, the other axis (usually the A) might jump around a little, might not do anything, but it will not move off the axis and the home sensor will remain active on that axis.

If I look at the prox switch locations they are inconsistent, the second switch which hits will always be more "over" the dog where as the first axis will move off the dog so that they are not inline.

What's going on??? I need to get my machine back up and running so I'm desperate.

Thanks!
    -Ed

I am thinking on buying the ESS. The only thing stopping me is the duel axis homing issue.
    Is this issue across the board for all users of slaved axis or just for some users?
    Any one have a setup that works?
    I use a G540
    Cheers

I just installed a ESS in an ongoing build. The homing appears to be working but I had to load the latest MACH3 and use the latest plugin.

It does seem like a solid board.

However, it doesn't look like the 'Verify' button is working but I haven't looked into it at all yet.

BobL.

I too am interested in this issue. I have the ESS but not yet installed.
    I hadn't thought about homing the slaved A-axis separate from its master axis, also X-axis in my case.
    I don't know how you guys wired the homing switches, but I suspect that Mach3 will need to identify each homing axis separately. I currently don't see it as an ESS issue.

It definately appears to have been an ESS issue, but I think it has been fixed in the latest plugin release.

I was surprised how smooth the install went.

BobL.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Seems the homing issue is getting/been sorted.
    :cheers:

I slaved homing working yet?

I just bought an ESS for use with a PMDX-126 on a CRP-4848. I'm definitely running into the slaved homing issue since the CRP-4848 has a slaved X-A.

I have limit/home switches on both the X and A. An the problem shows its self when I enable the A-Home. If disabled homing works, but the a is typically out of square.

I've also seen pretty violent response from my system when I do home or if I hit Reset in Mach3 twice in a row. I suspect this is the ESS being out of sync or getting garbage for commands. The table moment is abrupt enough to make me worry about twisting the gantry and binding the table.

-Freeman