585,880 active members*
7,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Corrupt programs?

Hello,
    I am a student at a school that purchased a Haas TM1 vertical mill a few years ago. The problem I am having is that every time I plug a program from my flash drive into the machine, it gives an alarm saying that the program copied onto the machine is corrupted, and this sometimes also happens to files on the flash drive. I have tried saving the files to the flash drive, recopying them, deleting them and loading them back onto the lathe and they were fine on the flash drive but as soon as they were loaded into the machine it read them as corrupt. I always safely eject the flash drive from the computer so this is not causing it. The problem is, I am the only one who actually has knowledge of program structure. My instructor understands how to use IPS and that is what some of the students can do as well but he needs to be able to turn on the mill and run specific programs for spindle warmup and programs for assignment. This did not occur before I started loading programs into the machine so I would assume it has something to do with what I'm doing and not the machine. Although, we also have a Haas CNC lathe which I use quite frequently that does not have the same problem. Getting help from my area could take quite some time so any help would be much appreciated!

Any chance that the file system on the flash drive is not compatible? I'm not sure what it should be, but probably formatting the drive with FAT32 should be a basic standard that will work.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the quick response,
    The manual says that the USB drive should be formatted to FAT or FAT32 and mine is formatted as FAT. I find it odd that it works fine in the lathe but not the mill. We also have a simulator that it runs fine in, but our actual mill has older software on it compared to our lathe and simulator. Could this be whats causing the problem?

First off, good for you to put the effort into learning how to use the very valuable machine tools your school has for you to use. I doubt you have a software issue. The Haas software is very stable and nothing like a Microsoft program needing constant updates. Since your schools equipment has USB's the tools must be 06-07 or newer. Try a using a different USB drive and see if that is the issue. If not and the problem continues, the drive on the mill may have issues and need service. Equipment in schools, since there are allot of different people around them, tend to take more abuse. Vrs. a commercial shop where the employes know not to touch the mill :boxing: unless instructed to.

Keep up the learning.

Mark
    2005 Haas TM-1, 4th HRT160 - OneCNC XR4 Pro w/4th - Alibre Design Expert
    Metal-tech 4x4 - www.metaltech4x4.com

+1 on trying a different flash drive.

Generally speaking, when a corrupt program is present in memory, the only way to fully clear the problem is to erase all programs then load the good ones back in.

Try this:
    First turn setting 23 off. ( 9000 program edit lock)
    The corrupt program usually will have an ! next to it in list programs.
    Backup every program except the one with the ! that you want to keep especially anything in the O9xxx series.

Once you have everything saved, go to the bottom of the program list and highlight ALL.

Next press ERASE PGM

Once everthing has been erased you can reload the good programs.

Good luck!

Worked on it some more this morning. I reloaded everything back onto the machine using a different flash drive and the programs still say they are corrupted but are running. The other day when they said they were corrupted I don't remember trying to actually run them in graphics as I did with these so it may be my own fault so I'll have to do a bit more expirementing with it. I talked to my instructor and he says you just have load in the program and continually hit reset until all the alarms clear. It still bugs me that I'm getting several corrupt errors whenever I try to load in a program not to mention it takes quite a bit longer to select and copy programs. I will try what haastec selected later today, but one problem is that I do not have access to the original sources of the programs as some of them came from a tech school when the machine was set up. If that can stop the errors I might be able to get some of the files sent over.

Quote Originally Posted by Most View Post
    Worked on it some more this morning. I reloaded everything back onto the machine using a different flash drive and the programs still say they are corrupted but are running. The other day when they said they were corrupted I don't remember trying to actually run them in graphics as I did with these so it may be my own fault so I'll have to do a bit more expirementing with it. I talked to my instructor and he says you just have load in the program and continually hit reset until all the alarms clear. It still bugs me that I'm getting several corrupt errors whenever I try to load in a program not to mention it takes quite a bit longer to select and copy programs. I will try what haastec selected later today, but one problem is that I do not have access to the original sources of the programs as some of them came from a tech school when the machine was set up. If that can stop the errors I might be able to get some of the files sent over.
    Until you clear the machine memory as I outlined, you will always get the corrupt program message regardless if you see the bad program or not.

You do not need any of the original programs. Just save what is on the machine one at a time and reload them after you clear the memory. Of course, leaving out any corrupt program(s).

Once you get things sorted out, have your instructor make a backup of the programs on the machine. This should be done regularly!

Thanks for your help, a lot clearer now. I went into the program list with setting 23 off and the corrupt file is O09997. It looks to me like this is a rather important file and my instructor does not want me to do this unless I'm absolutely sure that the machine will still work since it can still run programs right now, just with extra steps. He doesn't want to be caught up trying to reinstall the software when he needs it for assignments. Truthfully he doesn't think its something that needs to be done but I would like to have the machine running error free. Will this file be something that would have to be re-installed on the machine? If so what steps would I have to go through to do that?

Helocat: Most of the students in the shop are too afraid to get anywhere near the CNC equipment so fortunately you don't have to deal with curious people people who like to press buttons

You can tell him to call me at the Haas factory 805-278-1800 x7166

Attached is a good copy of the o09997 program.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

That's an odd one to get corrupt, but thanks to Ken you now have a good copy of O09997. That program is for visual quick code. I find most people do not even use that particuar program, but given you are in a classroom that may not be the case. Either way, the machine will run perfectly fine without that program.

All you have to do is save everything but the corrupted file.
    Copy the program Ken gave you to your computer.
    Clear the macine memory as previously outlined.
    Transfer back to the machine all the saved files including the O9997.
    The machine is now ready again.

I understand everyone's apprehension, but after you do this you will understand how easy this process really is other than the hassle of backing up individual files.

Let us know how you make out.

Ken/haastec,

Is there a good way to reload the programs on there? In both our SL-10 and our Mini Mill, we have in excess of 200 programs loaded on the machine. That would take a while to load them back on the machine. I know, I know. I should probably not have that many on the machine in the first place, but I do tend to make a backup on a fairly regular basis. My concern is an easy way to replace them in the event of a problem like Most is having.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    Ken/haastec,

Is there a good way to reload the programs on there? In both our SL-10 and our Mini Mill, we have in excess of 200 programs loaded on the machine. That would take a while to load them back on the machine. I know, I know. I should probably not have that many on the machine in the first place, but I do tend to make a backup on a fairly regular basis. My concern is an easy way to replace them in the event of a problem like Most is having.

Mike
    You can save all of the programs under one file name by highlighting ALL under list programs, but that is assuming there are no corrupt ones in the list. You can then reload them all again from the single file name.

If you already have a corrupt program then you will need to save individual files one by one and reload one by one.

Ah, ok. Thank you!

Mike

computers stink...posted twice by accident....

The machine is now happily selecting programs without any fits, thanks for all your help!

Hint for Haas

Hi,
    I wanted to add something here. We ran into this same issue with one of our product programs in our TM-2. We were able to keep going by having to press some of the buttons twice to move past the error messages, and we have done this for about 3 years now. We have probably 600+ small programs loaded and are trying to avoid this complete delete & reload procedure. To the Haas people...could someone come up with a software upgrade that will simply allow you to just delete the corrupt program? Maybe it could be something like a virus protection program. If it can already detect the culprit program, why not delete it?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Motivator-1 View Post
    Hi,
    I wanted to add something here. We ran into this same issue with one of our product programs in our TM-2. We were able to keep going by having to press some of the buttons twice to move past the error messages, and we have done this for about 3 years now. We have probably 600+ small programs loaded and are trying to avoid this complete delete & reload procedure. To the Haas people...could someone come up with a software upgrade that will simply allow you to just delete the corrupt program? Maybe it could be something like a virus protection program. If it can already detect the culprit program, why not delete it?
    John
    "In a perfect world..." Maybe Haas would come up with a way where the programs won't even get corrupted and need to be deleted and reloaded.

Re: Corrupt programs?

I know this is old but just a notice to others searching for an answer to the corrupted program problem. The answer provided by haastec in the 5th post worked like a charm. I had run the program all the way through yesterday and this morning, when I turned the VM2 on, claimed it was corrupted. Couldn't delete it and the local office wasn't open yet so I went here and searched. Was back up in 5 minutes. Thanks haastec

Re: Corrupt programs?

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    I know this is old but just a notice to others searching for an answer to the corrupted program problem. The answer provided by haastec in the 5th post worked like a charm. I had run the program all the way through yesterday and this morning, when I turned the VM2 on, claimed it was corrupted. Couldn't delete it and the local office wasn't open yet so I went here and searched. Was back up in 5 minutes. Thanks haastec
    :cheers: