584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deskam 2000 and XP - No Joy - Anyone?

... I'm still using Deskam 2000 and DeskNC (DOS) to run the machine... Ancient setup, but I can prep files with my eyes closed, and really like the flexibility that I can get so anal with the cut order/direction/etc and make no extra tool movement to get cuts done fast.

...and Deskam 2000 will not launch on XP past the serial # dialog. The window draws and then the application quits. I've tried pretty much every combination of Compatibility Mode settings I can come up with.

Has anyone actually gotten it to work? I've got the latest version that was downloadable before it disappeared.

I've looked at all kinds of stuff to replace it, and the interface usually turns out to be so much overkill. Even Cut2D which looked really close. After half an hour I couldn't generate a tool path. Deskam you can do DXF to GCode as fast as you can load and save a file. Done.

I wish the source were available ... maybe it's just a library problem that building in a newer compiler would fix. I can't remember the last thing I had that didn't run on XP that was 'Win32' (Runs on Win2000 natively)

Quote Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
    ... I'm still using Deskam 2000 and DeskNC (DOS) to run the machine... Ancient setup, but I can prep files with my eyes closed, and really like the flexibility that I can get so anal with the cut order/direction/etc and make no extra tool movement to get cuts done fast.

...and Deskam 2000 will not launch on XP past the serial # dialog. The window draws and then the application quits. I've tried pretty much every combination of Compatibility Mode settings I can come up with.

Has anyone actually gotten it to work? I've got the latest version that was downloadable before it disappeared.

I've looked at all kinds of stuff to replace it, and the interface usually turns out to be so much overkill. Even Cut2D which looked really close. After half an hour I couldn't generate a tool path. Deskam you can do DXF to GCode as fast as you can load and save a file. Done.

I wish the source were available ... maybe it's just a library problem that building in a newer compiler would fix. I can't remember the last thing I had that didn't run on XP that was 'Win32' (Runs on Win2000 natively)
    I use Deskam on XP as wel as Win7 no issues on XP at all.

No XP box I have can I get it to run. They all quit right after it draws it's window. I can see it for a split second. Then poof! Gone. On 4 different computers, and as many VM's as I have ever created. None of them will run it with XP Pro. If I ever found one that did I'd figure out why.. I have not tried XP Home though.

But it works on anything Win98 or 2000. The problem is my CAD application will NOT work on 2000, and I don't want to have two VMs. Deskam won't even work on wine for me. Does the same thing as XP.

/me goes to mess with it some more.

Assembled yet another Windows 7 Pro. computer and the same problems. Of close to 20 computers or VM's, nada. Zilch. Unless it's Windows 2000. It will not work.

Any recommendations on other applications are similar?

Someone asked me for an email address to send me something, though I never got anything, perhaps because GMail nuked a message containing a zip file/archive with executable in it..