585,919 active members*
3,488 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pro E part export to Mastercam

Hi everyone, i may have posted this thread in other subsection as well, but i do it again in case ppl miss it...I apologise if this is out of ethic.

Now, i would like to know if i design a part in ProE and export it as IGES (surface n wireframe) and import it to Mastercam to set the toolpath and do the post processing thing, will it be ok? I am really concerned about the geometry of the file losing its precision, not match, so on n forth bugging that i cant check every single detail...If any of you have ever tried to import export thing, please advise....My point of doing this is not because Pro E is bad, both of them are a good software but somehow i experience post processor problem...thats it...Thank you and look forward for any reply...

IGES for the most always has a certain amount of translation errors when crossing systems. However, most are very minute and will more than likely not show. For most parts, this is fine. If you have a part with multiple complex surfaces, a billion points/edges of tangencies, dozens of helical or involute type profiles is when you may encounter some errors. I have seen some translation not work even in some simple parts but generally its easily repaired.

Mastercam can also import ProE .PRT and .ASM files. Do you have solids on MC? I'd do this instead. If not, you can export as a .STP file as well. If the IGES imports clean and there are no visible errors, you can go with it. Just double check any criticals for attempted patches and what not. For the most part, if there are any errors, its either blown way out (therefore missing surfaces or visibly wrong) or the deviation is smaller than your machining tolerance anyway.

Not a rule of thumb... just a guideline....
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

icic..well, i transferred to MC as surface and wireframe and the only thing seems to be obvious when i have transferred it is the wires consist of 2 colours (green and grey)...Im not positive what it indicates but when i zoomed in, all seem connected. Also, when i surfaced (blanket) the wireframe no obvious damage was noticed...so i assume it is all good...but that is my assumption..some people do it by zooming all the section to check if the line is not connected or misalligned...but i think that will drive u mad when the shape is really complex. I hve never deal with solid in MC...i suppose the method of toolpathing is just the same, arent they?

when i have transferred it is the wires consist of 2 colours (green and grey)...
    This is from the system defaults. It's whats called "normals" ... basically, the active or directions of the surface (to be loosely stated). In the unshaded mode, it helps to identify the 'front' and 'back' of the surfaces or part. The green being front, the grey is back. You can change this to what ever color you want in the system config but this is the current default. If you key in ALT "S" you will see that it gets shaded. When programming, the green and the grey makes it easier to identify which side of the part you're on.

but i think that will drive u mad when the shape is really complex.
    Yes. Like I said though, usually IGES errors are from one extreme to the next. It's either extremely small, or part/surfaces are corrupt. I have pulled some in though where surfaces are misaligned or distorted. I still program to IGES on many parts, just be aware of some of the possible issues.

I hve never deal with solid in MC...i suppose the method of toolpathing is just the same, arent they?
    Yes and no. The basic motions/methods are the same with exception to how the geometry is selected. (faces, edges etc as opposed to wire, surface etc.). In some cases you may add surfaces/features or convert a part (or whole) solid to surfaces to machine. It just depends on what you're doing and trying to control. Bringing in a solid just ensures a more correct and stable file conversion. If a solid gets translated with errors, it won't re-create the solid in MC, or it will try to create it but when you check the solid manager you'll see the errors. In many cases, you can still salvage the solid because MC will prompt for an option to bring in as curves making it possible to fix the errors and recreate the solid (depending upon any other info you get or have about the part).

BTW.... solids is an option for MasterCam... if you don't have it, you'll have to use surface files. You can view solids but thats about it. You can't manipulate/create or machine it without the option.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....