585,715 active members*
3,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 1911 frame

1911 frame

How hard would it be to build this 1911 pistol frame out of stainless steel? You would not believe how much these cost and they sell them to guys like myself that want to do my own 1911 pistol build.

It's hard! I've got a couple of raw forgings bought about 10 years ago and never finished. Unless you have access to sinker EDM or the correct broaches, the mag-well and opening for the trigger are the big problems. The next problem is the recoil spring pocket. The rest is just simple mill work, but you need to make holding fixtures for all the different cuts. I don't see how they can sell a finished frame as cheep as they do.

cary

John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Quote Originally Posted by mblount View Post
    How hard would it be to build this 1911 pistol frame out of stainless steel? You would not believe how much these cost and they sell them to guys like myself that want to do my own 1911 pistol build.
    Piece of cake. Afghans do it on their dirt floors all the time. Grab yourself a file. Not hard at all.

Why is it that people have this idea that manufacturing something complex should be cheap? It's an insult to those who have spent hours and hours designing, programming, setting up and actually machining something like this..never mind the associated tooling.

The photo looks like the Les Baer frame offered at Brownells. You think $328 is a lot of money for this??? You NEED to build your own.

Talking 1911

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Piece of cake. Afghans do it on their dirt floors all the time. Grab yourself a file. Not hard at all.

Why is it that people have this idea that manufacturing something complex should be cheap? It's an insult to those who have spent hours and hours designing, programming, setting up and actually machining something like this..never mind the associated tooling.

The photo looks like the Les Baer frame offered at Brownells. You think $328 is a lot of money for this??? You NEED to build your own.
    Don't you have to have some special permit to make firearms? The $328 is extremely affordable to someone who has the money an knows a little bit about he 1911. I don't have one yet but I am willing to spend the $1100 for something that was build like a workhorse. By the way I am actually looking for something like this with a slighly longer barrel. I would really like it in a rifle but I do not know a whole bunch about firearms other than the fact they reduce my stress levels.

I didn't, don't, want to get into the whole FFL issue of licensing and manufacture of firearms. That's for other forums that are specifically geared towards that.

If you really want to reduce your stress levels, try handgun golf, or get a 6.5 creedmore and put holes in playing cards at 1000yrds.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    I didn't, don't, want to get into the whole FFL issue of licensing and manufacture of firearms. That's for other forums that are specifically geared towards that.

If you really want to reduce your stress levels, try handgun golf, or get a 6.5 creedmore and put holes in playing cards at 1000yrds.
    What is handgun golf? I prefer the 300 win mag or a 338 lapua

Go to Walmart and buy a bag of cheap golf balls. Throw a few out 15 or 25 ft.

My friend's daughter nailed one with a .357, and got a measured 300+ yards out of it! Exception rather than the rule, usually they fly, but absorb a lot of the energy and shred.

Great way to teach kids proper sight technique and a little patience.

Now, if you've got a scoped rifle and access to a regular golf course....I suppose it could add a whole new level of scoring... :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by tracyranson View Post
    Don't you have to have some special permit to make firearms? <SNIP> I would really like it in a rifle but I do not know a whole bunch about firearms other than the fact they reduce my stress levels.
    As long as your making them for your self and not for sale, you can make as many as you want. BUT you have to mark them in accordance with the GCA. It is ILLEGAL to make a full automatic or NFA gun though.