585,735 active members*
4,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine for super awesome models

Hi all,
    I am looking at getting a machine for milling out some automotive models. Something similar to these:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've been looking at the chinese made 6090/6040 machines and some of the prices are just unbelievable. Almost better than going to the local cnc shop and getting them to do it. I would just like to know if these machines are capable of milling out these models?

The only limitation I can see is the depth, most of which have 120mm/90mm. I have been advised that I can get a custom machine with deeper range. So if get one with 200mm depth, would that be capable of creating some super awesome models?

I plan on using soft materials such as wood and foam, possibly soft metals but not essential.

Something similar to this:
    http://www.selectsign.hk/UploadFiles/rj6090p.jpg

if u ask me for my personal experience.... chinese machines are shi*...

as far as i think... and if i wanted to cut things like u do.. then i will definitely make a CNC for me......
    and you want to cut only soft things like fom... so it will be great if you install servos .. bcoz if you have servos then you can cut this parts with very very fast feed rates...(1.5-2X fast then steppers) but if you want to save money then u can use steppers so...
    and if you dont have any experience in building a cnc.. then u can ask me for help...i will make some CNC machine plans for u.... i will be happy to help u with this project... and if i dont reply u in this post.. then feel free to send me private msg...

best of luck...

Thanks for your reply, I think a machine built by me would be worse than a machine built in China..lol I can make make some fantastic models as long as the surfaces or lines aren't straight..lol I'm not looking for something super accurate...maybe .1mm or .5mm, nothing more than that. It will all be sanded and refinished anyway. Thanks for offering your help, its much appreciated...I'm sure it would be fun but not quite a project I want to get involved in and start pulling all my hair out over.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or space and time to build one either which is why I'm looking at the chinese ones but having read some of the things on this forum I can see why you think they aren't the best machines but if they can give me something I can work with and a presentable model then that's all I need.

The only limitation I can see is the depth, most of which have 120mm/90mm.
    Be aware the unless you're cutting foam, you won't find many tools that can cut deeper than 50mm, so clearance become an issue on thicker projects. One solution is to cut the parts in thinner layers and assemble them after cutting.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You should look in to 3d printing. Price has come way down on the hobby stuff.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ideally 3d printing is the best option but some of my models are longer than 500mm and most machines aren't that large. Besides they need allot of tinkering, I know as I looked after the one at uni and the number of times I had to pull the heads out and clean them just to get one good print....I'd rather stick with something simple and work around the limitations. Keeping 3d printing just for detail parts.