585,763 active members*
4,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: whats wrong?

whats wrong?

Hello, and let me start by saying thx for a great site and support.
    I orderd this kit from ebay: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I did the Parallel signal test with mach3 just like in this tutorial and all works : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglCm_qsojk]CNC Electronics 5 -Testing the Parellel Port.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

So when i hook up the 36v to the board and then parallel cable 2 Leds will light. And after i hook up the motors as i think is the right wireset nothing happens.
    So i did a multimeter test on the steppermotor inputs z x y of the board and got voltage only from pin 1 and 2 of Y axis. Im not sure if this is normal. So i thougth the board was broken and orderd a 2nd one. To my suprise the 2nd board was just as the 1st. So now i have 2 of these boards and cant get any to work

So perhaps someone kind out there know what a newbie like me is doing wrong here. I cant find any datdcheet for the steppermotors on internet, so im not sure about what color wire goes where on teh board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3aixs.jpg   01154.JPG  

dude.... i have this board to.. and i m using it from 7-8 months now..
    1st of all u need a optocopler breakout board .. otherwise u will burn the LPT port( i did)..

and 2nd and most impotent thing.... this board cant take more then 24V.... the suppliers says it can take 24-36v.. but it cant...
    i m running with 18V 6Amp laptop power supply...

and by applying 36V to both boards ,, i think u burned then out....replace the 5V regulator and give it a try... other wise those board cant be used now.. unlace u replace the TB6560s....

if u have more question then plz contact me in private msg...

Quote Originally Posted by sizala View Post
    dude.... i have this board to.. and i m using it from 7-8 months now..
    1st of all u need a optocopler breakout board .. otherwise u will burn the LPT port( i did)..

and 2nd and most impotent thing.... this board cant take more then 24V.... the suppliers says it can take 24-36v.. but it cant...
    i m running with 18V 6Amp laptop power supply...

and by applying 36V to both boards ,, i think u burned then out....replace the 5V regulator and give it a try... other wise those board cant be used now.. unlace u replace the TB6560s....

if u have more question then plz contact me in private msg...
    ops... my bad. I do have 24v and not 36v. I use ofocrse the power supply that came with my cnc kit. So nothing should be burned. But what about the wires? Are there any more tests i can do?

How have you set up the Mach3 "ports and pins" configuration? Which pins are you using for your step and direction and enable pins for each axis? Are they set to active low or active high?

As far as which wires to hook up for the motors, did you use a multimeter to identify one pair of wires that shows a low resistance, and use that pair as your "A" wires, and connect the other wire pair as your "B" motors? (Do not attach or remove the motor wires while you have voltage applied to the board.)

ok so now i have somthing working. When i press and hold the arrowkeys left and right the motor makes a buzz sound just like it would work but the motorshaft is not moving, not a bit. same goes for Page up and down.. But nothing still happens not even any sound from arrowkeys upand down. Any thoughts?

How have you set up the Mach3 "ports and pins" configuration? Which pins are you using for your step and direction and enable pins for each axis? Are they set to active low or active high?

What are the DIP switches set to?

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post

What are the DIP switches set to?
    My dip switched ar currently set to ON ON ON ON OFF OFF. Im not sure what u mean by active low or active high. My settings are as follow on the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MachSettings.jpg  

Active low is a setting in Mach, it is either checked or not (in your case not). Barring a bunch of knowledge, check it and see if the response is different. My suspicion is that your steps per unit is too small. Yours is set to 1000. Most steppers have 200 units per rev with 10x micro stepping equates to 2000 steps per unit. Plenty to be confused about and I am sure someone will point out the ignorance in my process too. I have never caused a problem by checking active low or not. It might not have solved my problem and I return it to its original setting. I believe it refers to the switch going to ground or +5v.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I had the same problem I just followed this guide and it worked the best the wiring was from left to right Black, Green, Red, White on the wire connector to the board and this is the guide I followed on mach 3 Used everything exactly the same and worked perfectly
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

It's probably a good idea to start with kernal speed set to 25,000.

Iooks like you are using either 1/8 or 1/16 microstepping (some boards apparently have those two settings reversed). The proper steps-per value will depend on that setting. You might want to consider starting off with single stepping until you get your motors running, and then change the stepping mode and steps-per as desired. To choose single stepping, try setting the DIP switches 5 and 6 to ON ON.

I'm not sure what the proper current setting is for your motors - do you know the motor winding current spec?