585,888 active members*
4,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Attempting to CNC 7x14 mini lathe using minimum $$

Attempting to CNC 7x14 mini lathe using minimum $$

I have an unused Xylotec controller from years ago when I bought a TAIG mini-mill. At what I consider slow speeds it would resonate and loose steps. Basically I had some hate for the controller. I bought a servo system for the mill and its working great.

I now have a 7x14 mini lathe and want to CNC it using that now unused Xylotex controller. Ran a few ideas through my head and decided the quickest way to retrofit was to use wood and NC the crossslide. This was the quickest thing I could think of. Using some white laminate shelf material I made 3 clamps (only needed 2) to attach to the round part where the handles of the compound slides are on the lathe. Another 2 pieces to mount to the motor. 2 pieces to attach the lathe lead screw to the step motor by press fit. 2 pieces to distance the "clamps" and the step motor mounts (not shown).

After milling the parts I test fit the couplers and they fit pretty tight but not tight enough for me. I decided I could increase the durability and the tightness of the fit by coating them in epoxy. Will find out in a day or so if that was a good idea or not.

All in all I'm taking a control system I already had, some time and a piece of scrap shelf board to CNC my lathe on the cheap! I think its going to work out but might take more coats of epoxy to protect the wood. I dont plan on using coolant anytime soon so not really an issue for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00156.JPG  

I could prolly continue and make it more rigid but I would rather buy some metal, screws and get something that can last awhile... One of the clamps busted when I put it on the lathe. Might buy some metal online and anti-backlash nuts from dumpsterCNC to make something that can last.

That's too bad it didn't work but there are probably others who have had the idea and not been brave enough to try.
    The other kudo is for posting it here and giving the honest results.

Try again!

Particle board is of limited usefulness.

However it can be used to make throw away patterns. Patterns that can be used to sand cast your brackets and stuff. If you work with scrap aluminum you should be able to cast up respectable parts for the conversion at very low cost. The other option, that would be potentially even cheaper, would be to lost foam cast the parts you need.

There is a bit of research you should do to go about aluminum casting safely. However it can be a way to realize parts that would be time consuming to DIY out of bar stock.

Plan B for the long axis is to use the mounting holes for the lathes leadscrew bearings to mount a precision screw except it will locate higher... *If* I can remove the pin used for the pinion gear in the saddle without destroying it (circled in white). I don't know why but I want to be able to switch back to manual as/if needed.

That said the reason for wanting the screw to locate higher on the long axis is because of an idea I have for a skirt to help keep debris off the screw.

The crossslide is still being decided on but wont be anymore complex than the long axis.

I dont know who has seen my post about pre-loading the screws on a TAIG mill but my idea for doing that is something I plan to test on this lathe. IE: Adding 25 or so pounds of "preload" to help prevent the backlash from coming into play.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/1038655-post3.html

EDIT: Any suggestions on a good material to use for the nuts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00164.JPG   DSC00165.JPG  

@wizard - A simple electric furnace and lost wax ceramic molds is something I have considered but don't think I will be doing that anytime soon with my limited amount of space.