585,996 active members*
4,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Master Machinist CNC Multi-Axis Programmer

I have many years of experience as a CNC Machinist and Programmer. I am looking for work as a Senior Programmer, Supervisor or Plant Manager.

If your shop is temporarily swamped...? I am also considering part-time, off-line or contract programming work. I own my own software and I am very flexible.

I have considerable experience with a number of 3, 4 and 5 axis machine tools.

No project is too small or too large for what I do...

CNC Programmer

Can you mention what software(s) you work with at home and what CNC controls you have experience with. I'm sure others would like to know too.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_6327 End Solids Boolean Subtract.JPG  

I have been doing this kind of work also, since I started my consulting company in 1999. I use PowerStation Pro 2006 at my home office. I have partnerships with a couple of companies that let me use their software, MasterCam X3 and GibbsCam 2004+. For machine controls, I have worked with Fadal, Fagor, Fanuc, Haas, Mazatrol, Philips, and Seimens. There is work out there, but customers won't seek you out until they have a problem. So, you know up front what kind of jobs you are going to get. And then they don't want to pay.

How to Get Paid

The way I get paid is to only release the 1st 1/4 to 1/3 of the code(with no tool changes or vertical tool calibration) then after payment is received the complete code. If you don't get paid it's your fault for not realizing this is business and not a popularity/prove to me you can do it contest. Also don't let greed sucker-play you, bid on one job and one job only not on the promise of repeat business (this is the easiest way to NOT get paid). Remember integrity no longer counts in American business only who makes the buck.

I have used several different softwares in the past, currently for CAD and design I use SolidWorks for jigs, fixtures and tooling designs.

I use SurfCam for CAM programming, VeriCut for program proofing, I write my own post-processors and I can write a post for virtually any machine or control combination, if I can't figure it out I have additional resources that I can use.

I have recent experience operating and setting up with HAAS, FADAL, Fanuc, Siemens 840D, FAGOR 850/855 and some that I can barely remember if you have or can get a copy of a programming or operation manual I guarantee that I can write a post for it.

I routinely create Multi-Axis CNC programs that machine complex molds and surfaces without making a test or set-up part. With upto 500,000 lines of 5 axis code the machines often run continuously for days.

Advanced Training

Are you able available to provide training, such as would you be available to train a good 3 axis programmer to program and setup 4 and 5 axis CNC machines?

Also, can you train a less skilled plain operator to setup CNC machines?

We would like to increase people skills to the extent possible before hiring new employees, investing in the people we already have makes a lot of sense to us.

Any experience with a Haas cnc lathe and mastercam lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinke View Post
    Any experience with a Haas cnc lathe and mastercam lathe?
    No, but my experience with HAAS mills would lead me to believe that their entire line of CNC machines is very uncomplicated to program, setup and operate. Even though lathe machinery continues to become more and more complicated, with the addition of the 3rd Y axis and 4th spindle rotary axis, most lathe work is still relatively simple.

Given the challenge of the latest 4th and even 5th axis lathes, I am confident that I can write a post processor that would create efficient Programs. Though in very complex parts the eventual code may be programs manually edited to combine the elements of a 2 axis lathe program, a 3 axis mill/turn program and a 4 or even a 5-axis milling program.

Over the last few years I have had to re-invent what I do, the lines between turning and milling machines will continue to blur, as we already see machines that can operate as a lathe and a mill in one setup.

The question now becomes will we see tech savvy people that can keep up, with this technology...

Where?

Where are you located and what areas are you considering for work?

The Place to Grow

Please check out Dynomax Inc. as we are a growing company and machinists agree that it's a great place to have a career at (long-term). You'll work on complex projects (aerospace) with top of the line technology and other very-skilled machinists with competent manager/supervisors.

Feel free to e-mail your resumes to me a [email protected] if you're interested and we'll be in communication with you to see if we're a good match for each other. We respect our employees and have a great culture established that the company employees enjoy.

I hope to hear from you & thanks for your guys' time & interest.

-Michael Kim

Thanks MKIM, I checked out the Dynomax website, it looks like an excellent facility, unfortunately it would take a large relocation fee to pack up and move to the Chicago area, in this economic climate that is virtually unheard of. I would obviously prefer something closer to home.

I see a peculiar trend that has developed that I was previously unaware of, it seems to be a phenomenon that was not a problem when most machining and programming was of a more manual nature and machine shops were more interested in a true Craftsman as opposed to a computer operator.

Many manufacturing facilities have chosen a particular software brand and are not very flexible as to the overall skills that their perspective applicants may have.

These days most Job Descriptions look like this:
    ABC Machining, in Eerie PA seeks CNC Programmer, Setup Machinist, must have GibbsCam experience. This add makes the available list of qualified applicants shrink instantly as it could be that 10 MasterCAM, and 5 SurfCAM programmers are available but no GibbsCam programmers within 100 miles.

It seems that what it boils down to is that the cost of the programming system (average of $15,000) is limiting many employers to an ever smaller hiring pool leaving many highly skilled craftsmen on the sidelines.

Besides location, I have also been turned down for several positions because of the software issue, even though I have my own software, which I consider to be another "Tool" in my 'Tool Box'.

Being able to design, program and machine complex parts just doesn't seem to be enough anymore...

Sorry, I should have posted this earlier; I'm located in Southern California, 30 miles south of Los Angeles. I'm open to offers, but something in California, Arizona or Nevada would be suitable.

On a contract basis the location is probably less important...

How is the job market where you are..?

In manufacturing and especially in the machine shops around here, it seems that are more jobs than workers.

There are more $20-$25 an hour jobs that are going without people to fill them, than you can shake and End Mill at.

Cool

Boy oh Boy I wish I could spend some time with you.I am sure I could learn alot.I have used A few different software packages and agree withyou about companies putting themselves in a box as far as software goes.For me I find all I have used to be relitively similar and they should state a willingness to train an experienced guy to learn thier particular system.I work at a small shop,just the owner and I.We operate on a whatever it takes mentality.My boss says I have a great capacity for abstract thought.We are getting busier every week and cannot wait to get our first 5+ axis machine..even though we've never actually ran one we realize what we could do with it when we do get it in the door.If you are ever in Nor Cal you are welcome to swing by our shop.Here is our web site. www.precisionmachinists.co
    Obviously we are small,But we are working on our AS9100 and expect to grow rapidly.Maybe we will be able to call on your expertise in the near future.

I'm always happy to give advice or answer questions...

I checked out your website there. Is that solid Copper that is being turned on your lathe? I used to machine a lot of copper, the chips were worth nearly as much as the part, best part was the customer supplied all the material...

Yes,That is copper. It is an electrode.We do alot of copper and treat the chips like gold.The customer does supply the material on that particular part

We are an engineering design company located in Westlake Village, CA and have an immediate opening for someone with excellent CNC programming ability, Solidworks and CNC machine shop skills.

Responsibilities:
    Produces machined parts by programming, setting up, and operating a computer CNC machine; maintaining quality and safety standards; keeping records; maintaining equipment and supplies. Developing and designing of fixtures (using 4 axis machine tools), as well as applying good problem solving skills in order to assist/troubleshoot the production department in their day to day activities. You must possess strong programming, CAD/CAM and machine shop skills with a minimum 3 years of experience. Haas familiarity is required.

Requirement:
    - AS degree is a plus but not required
    - Pass in house exam.
    - Minimum 3 years of machining experience with CNC lathes and milling machines.
    - Good understanding of CNC panel and ability to detect and correct program errors.
    - Ability to work with conventional Mills.
    - Capable of working from blueprints, operation sheets, set-up sheets, and/or verbal instructions.
    - Able to grind all standard tools such as tool bits and drills.
    - Must be capable of using special measuring equipment like gauges calipers and the setting up and operation of tool preparation machines.
    - Ability to work with minimum supervision, work with chief engineer to accomplish the projects.
    - Ability to assist and train other operators when required.
    - Good communication skills, must speak, read and write English.
    - CNC Setup Experience is a must.
    - CNC programming experience, M and G Code is a must.

Working hours : Fulltime with benefits.

Please send all emails regarding this position to [email protected]