585,973 active members*
4,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Looking for advice on choosing a Servo spindle

Cool Looking for advice on choosing a Servo spindle

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new mikini 1610LP, but I'd like to install a servo spindle drive. I'll be running EMC2, so I can make just about any kind of control work - but I'd prefer to not spend 8 grand, if I can help it.

Currently, the Baldor BSM80N-233AF seems like it would make for a particularly strong spindle. Though, I've no idea what that thing will weigh, it's likely that the IEC80 frame size is probably the biggest I could handle.

Does anyone have recommendations on fanuc spindle servos that may also work? I'm looking for 6000RPMs and a minimum 1HP, (that baldor should provide 2.7HP, so I could easily reach 12000rpm and still have torque to spare.) I also want really high torque at 0rpm. (as much as possible)

I'll work almost exclusively w/aluminum. Steel on rare occassion. Sometimes plastics. Cutters of all sizes up-to .5" with the exception of flycutters/facing mills. Gaining the ability to use live tooling/tapping would be quite a plus.

I'm aware that there are some deals on used FANUC spindles, but what else should I possibly look for?

Quote Originally Posted by zarthcode View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new mikini 1610LP, but I'd like to install a servo spindle drive. I'll be running EMC2, so I can make just about any kind of control work - but I'd prefer to not spend 8 grand, if I can help it.

Currently, the Baldor BSM80N-233AF seems like it would make for a particularly strong spindle. Though, I've no idea what that thing will weigh, it's likely that the IEC80 frame size is probably the biggest I could handle.

Does anyone have recommendations on fanuc spindle servos that may also work? I'm looking for 6000RPMs and a minimum 1HP, (that baldor should provide 2.7HP, so I could easily reach 12000rpm and still have torque to spare.) I also want really high torque at 0rpm. (as much as possible)

I'll work almost exclusively w/aluminum. Steel on rare occassion. Sometimes plastics. Cutters of all sizes up-to .5" with the exception of flycutters/facing mills. Gaining the ability to use live tooling/tapping would be quite a plus.

I'm aware that there are some deals on used FANUC spindles, but what else should I possibly look for?

If you would like some help, please give me a call (847) 325-6682.

Quote Originally Posted by zarthcode View Post
    Hello,

By any chance did you find a solution for the spindle. I'm kinda of in the same boat , same machine.
    pete