585,737 active members*
4,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Working with multi-part assemblies

Working with multi-part assemblies

So I got off the phone with the BobCad folk, and they basically gave up and sent me over to their SolidWorks team, which would have been great (and probably the best answer) but has a hobbyist, I just can't afford that.

I'd really like to be able to combine multiple parts into a single project, make sure their movements don't collide, and such, and get that in a solid modelling 3D CAD app, rather than just 2D drafting.

What's my next step up the food chain? I'm guessing Rhino, but are there other good choices?

IMO Alibre would be your next step
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

You might also look

at IronCAD, which is a parametric modeler that handles assemblies well. It compares favorably in price with Solidworks. If you don't need 2D drafting, the same company also offers a product called "Inovate" with all its other features (except sheet-metal modeling) for considerably less. It lists for $1270, but we can do a little better...

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

depends on you!

What's my next step up the food chain? I'm guessing Rhino, but are there other good choices?
    Rhino is good. Probably the best in its space (price per feature) but spend the time and download the demo version of several CAD packages. Try them all out. Avoid free stuff, you get what you pay for! That said, Solid works and most AutoDesk software is free, to students. Have you a middle schooler or high schooler? Start learning together and you can do it with the big boy software. Start your kid off with a skill he can turn into gold.

If I could impress on you one thing, software like Google's SketchUp (even the pro version) are more trouble than they are worth. The program you use should be standards based on interface and file I/O. The steps towards CAM after that will be easier and more precise, which are the goals in using a CNC.

My personal opinion is towards Rhino. It has things about it that are just down right a joy to work with but still give several a look-see.