585,667 active members*
4,066 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question for Cincinnati Monoset Users?

Hi,
    I am looking at a Cincinnati Monoset Tool and Cutter Grinder that is on sale and I am interested to know from users of this machiine if Helix grinding is standard or as an attachment for this machine. I do not have any serial no or what model? but from looking at some examples on you tube it is a standard Monoset machine.
    What do I look for on the m/c to see where such an item is to know Helical flute grinding is possible on this machine.
    Hope if m/c is suitable to use as roughing m/c for badly damaged Carbide cutters and finish them on a Christen AU 150 Tool and Cutter Grinder I have had for a year or so. At the moment converting Optical aligning and length/Angle Scope from my Christen Drill grinder to the AU 150 to inspect tools in m/c.
    The Cincinnati m/c is much better built in porportion for heavy stock removal
    and has more varied areas of adjustment for different grinding positions
    and the driven Tool workhead is impressive.
    Is there any items of concern that one should look at when viewing this
    type of machine? ie spindle motor play of over loose slide ways?

Regards,
    James.

The Monoset has a built in helical unit. There is a rack and sine bar unit inside the back side of the work head unit, with a finger and changable index plates on the back of the workhead spindle.
    The spindles usually hold up fairly well, check slides for play in the dovetail ways. Over the years the grit tends to wear them.
    They do have an adjustable gib, but depending on the wear you may adjust it and have tight spots when moving the slides in and out.
    Overall probably one of the best tool & cutter grinders ever produced.
    There was a company called Denver Astro that was importing a foreign made copy at one time. This is also a good machine but not as good as a Monoset.

try Doug at , We sell Remanufactured Monoset Tool & Cutter Grinders , rebuilds monosets only, better than factory specs when done