584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Boy 15s Injection Molding Manual
Page 1 of 2 12

Boy 15s Injection Molding Manual

I have a Boy 15s injection molding machine. I am looking for an operating manual for this machine. Thank you.

Manual

Graemeian,

Did you find a manual for this machine.

i just got one from the earliy eighties.

Mark

I have one, but unfortunately its in german.

uli12us

Thanks for responding. Would it be possible to get a copy of your manual. Have a german speaking/reading friend to help. Mostly interested in wiring diagrams and the pictures in the manual.

My manual its hrrd to read the wiring diagrams. They were not drawn to the same standard as to other German machines I have at work.

This is a toy to play with and learn about injection molding at home for me.

Best Regards,

Mark Holycross

I hope your machine is in better condition as mine. I must make a complete new electric, because some of the switches are defective, kables have short circuit and other ugly things. The badest things are the rollerswitches at the side of the hydraulik block, where you don't have any chance to see if the switch will connect, don't connect or possibly collide with the cam. I will make a scan of the manual, but it can last a while.

My machine is in good condition for its age. Almost 30 years old, but it was a local training school machine. Guess it has less than a couple hundred hours use in its life. Have to deal with some dry rot on the hydraulic hose.

Have another project to finish before starting up this machine. Need to build my cnc mill to make the molds. Just have to buy the drives/motors and start converting the mill.

Mark

Boy 15 manual / wiring diagram

Guys,

If anyone has a manual or wiring diagram for a Boy 15 I would be extremely grateful for a copy in english or german. I checked with our local distributor and they said that they don't have it anymore. My machine is from 1974 and it looks like hell, but it would be a fun project to re-animate it.

All the best,

Andy

Manual

Andy,

I can scan the informationI do have for you.
    Can't get to the scanner until next week.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I would appreciate that.

It seems there are a few people around with the intention of either learning injection molding or resurrecting their Boy 15 machines and there is not much info available. If we pool resources, info and findings it would help a lot.

My idea with this machine is to learn both injection molding and mold making, I also have a 150 ton machine sitting idle, but thought it might be easier and safer to start with a smaller one. A hand crank bench top model is not really representative as there are few adjustments if any. The Boy 15 at least seems like a real machine.

Andy

About a few months ago, I upgraded my Boy 15S with a PLC. The PLC I am using is overkill but it gives me numerous options. I gave up on my german diagram as it was easier to completely gut the cabinet including the analog temperature controllers. I listened for clicks for the solenoids and I then connected all of the switches to the PLC. I closed a limit switch and recorded the position on the PLC. After renaming the switches and solenoids to my preference and some simple coding, I am running.

pictures?
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Manual

Andy,

Would you PM me your email address.

I scanned the paperwork over the weekend. PM me your
    email address so I can send the information.

Wiring diagrams look much better than when I first looked
    at them.

Wish i had a 150 ton press to play with once i figured out how
    to use/run these machines.

I have to finish the cnc lathe conversion which is almost done.
    Then convert the mill, which might take a while learning a new
    controller. Then I'll be onto the injection molder.

Can you reccomend any good reading about molding. Interested
    in mold design, material understanding and part design.

Mark

Sounds like the way to go, but I need to first get this machine running to evaluate it's mechanical condition and the amount of work needed. The non-labeled wiring in the control cabinet looks like a birds nest sprinkled with 40 years of dust so I might give up at some point and go the PLC route. How hard are they to program?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by graemeian View Post
    About a few months ago, I upgraded my Boy 15S with a PLC. The PLC I am using is overkill but it gives me numerous options. I gave up on my german diagram as it was easier to completely gut the cabinet including the analog temperature controllers. I listened for clicks for the solenoids and I then connected all of the switches to the PLC. I closed a limit switch and recorded the position on the PLC. After renaming the switches and solenoids to my preference and some simple coding, I am running.

Hi Mark,

I've sent you a PM.

Andy

Hi Mark

I tried to send you a PM, but it doesnt show up in my Sent folder.
    It would be really great, if i could get a copy of the manual too.

I will also show up some picture from my machine later! =)

Many thanks for your reply
    Patrick

Patrick,

Sent you an email last nigth. Did you receive it.
    I received your PM.

Mark

Patrick,

Sent a PM. Contact me on my new email.

Mark

Hi Mark, Hi all

I have uploaded a picture of my machine

Tried to run it with a default T15 Power Cord.
    The power security switches went of if the main Pump reaches 5bar oil pressure... was clear.

So i have actually one T15 3 Phases each 230V/16A at my house. Now I check for a bigger one.
    Did you know what is required to run this 15S machines in general? Or what do you use.

I want avoid to put in new power installation in a small size.

Many thanks
    Patrick

Patrick,

Late getting back to you. Work has has been full on since getting back from Switzerland.
    Couple things to check. the breaker supplying power, what is the number is it "B" or "C" or "D" rated breaker.

You have 230v / 16A power which is just over 6 kW, I would expect it to start the machine whitout the
    heaters working.

From the name plate rating your motor was originally wired for 380 volt input. Do you know if it has been
    rewired to 230 volt?

My machine is not wired.

Best Regards,

Mark

I don't suppose somebody could take a picture of the side of the machine (behind the control cabinet) and label roughly what each visible solenoid does? Would be greatly appreciated. I have a manual (missing the front page) but it doesn't seem that useful, particularly for a PLC installation. Won't fit in my sheet feed scanner either - I'd cut it up but it sounds like Holycross already has digitizing sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12