584,800 active members*
4,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Cut Speeds

Cut Speeds

Hi Jim, I recently ungraded to a Duramax machine torch on my 1250 powermax G3 and have asked you about the cut charts in the past. Still can't get up to recommended speeds in the charts. My new comsumables came in Fine Cut and 45 amp nozzles, replaced everything with new FC nozzle and electrode, and still to get a nice square edge, dross free cut I have to run around 110 ipm on 14 ga. mild steel, cut height .06 , pierce at .120 - .150 . If I run the 220 ipm it doesn't cut thru completely in spots it might leave a inch or so then cut thru again ? Just wondering if I'm missing something or if you could recommend something to try. Not a big problem, I just cut art work and a lot of detailed stuff so I have the time :>)
    Thanks for all your time and help..............Ray

If you cannot achieve the speeds listed in the manual (which are very well engineered and lab tested) then one or more of your parameters has to be out of range....or there is something else wrong with your system.

Here are things that will not allow you to achieve the cut speeds listed in the Hypertherm manual:

- Incorrect torch to work distanc while cutting. If the cut height varies more than about .010 from the book suggested height....you may lose the cut at the recommended speed settings. This is more critical with Fine cut parts as compared to others due to the lower amperage settings. If you are using an arc voltage setting for cut height.....adjust the voltage so the physical torch to work distance is correct....don't worry about matching the voltage setting listed in the manual.

- Incorrect air pressure or moisture in the air system

- Worn or damaged nozzle orifice (see manual for inspecting nozzle) a nozzle can be damaged easily on the first pierce if pierce height is incorrect.

- Speed calibration on machine could be incorrect.

-Loose work ground...try connecting directly to the material.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by rtsplace View Post
    Hi Jim, I recently ungraded to a Duramax machine torch on my 1250 powermax G3 and have asked you about the cut charts in the past. Still can't get up to recommended speeds in the charts. My new comsumables came in Fine Cut and 45 amp nozzles, replaced everything with new FC nozzle and electrode, and still to get a nice square edge, dross free cut I have to run around 110 ipm on 14 ga. mild steel, cut height .06 , pierce at .120 - .150 . If I run the 220 ipm it doesn't cut thru completely in spots it might leave a inch or so then cut thru again ? Just wondering if I'm missing something or if you could recommend something to try. Not a big problem, I just cut art work and a lot of detailed stuff so I have the time :>)
    Thanks for all your time and help..............Ray

Hi Jim, Thanks for the reply, I do have a compressed air dryer in line,brand new consumables, and I ground a bare spot on the material for the ground clamp. So by process of elimination, it must be my voltage. I've tried adjusting that with out much change. So I'll ding Tom at CandCNC. Thanks Ray