586,011 active members*
3,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

My laser review log

Just picked up this evening from the shipping dock my new laser. This thread will be for my reivews and experiences for it. Totally unbiased as I have no affiliation or compensation from the vendors.

The machine I purchased was a 24"x36" 60 watt model from Hurricane lasers.

So far I have had great communications with the company. Machine has arrived here with no visible damage on the crating. It is currently sitting in the garage still on the trailer in the crate as i got back late with it.

Hurricane21 Guest

Thank you again from Hurricane Lasers!

CNC,

Thanks again for the purchase and please let us know if you need anything.

John

Update- 3-1-12

Well it has been awhile since my last post. I have actually had the machine for 3 weeks. Decided to add on to the shop to put her in.

So I finally got it off the trailer and out of the box and in the room. No damage to it at all.

Got both tables with it..

Nice honeycomb table

A couple of inside shots

opened up the back so I could check out the laser tube. Well to my surprise it shipped without it installed. Called Hurricane, and found out they have had some problems with damage in shipment, so I understand that.

Found it hiding in the bottom. So I downloaded the manual, so I could proceed with the hookup. Took awhile, but I printed it off. So unpacked the tube and set it in place. Didnt clamp it down yet, as I wanted to see how some of the hookups were going to sit.

Will have to do something about this. This is the power wire for the laser. It just sits on there. Seems like there should be something else..

Hooked up a couple of the water lines

After reading the manual again, and looking at the temp hook ups, decided to go ahead and lightly clamp the tube. Well cant do it. No screws for them. Looked in all the packages, and still did not find any

So I have to go and get some metric screws to be able to clamp it down and proceed. This is probably one of my pet peeves, is when something that should be there isnt. All that had to be done, was the screws put back in the clamps for shipping.

More to come later this week, after I get the screws. Also need to contact Hurricane to make sure the power wire for the tube is correct. That just sitting there doesnt bode well with me.

I will say Hurricane has so far, been very quick to return any e-mails or calls I have placed.

If you don't insulate that power wire to the laser tube you are likely to kill yourself when it arcs to the machine frame!

john

Quote Originally Posted by John Thomson View Post
    If you don't insulate that power wire to the laser tube you are likely to kill yourself when it arcs to the machine frame!

john
    I am not leaving it like that. That is darn sure. Will atleast put shrink tubing or something atleast rated on it, so it is not on the open like that.

Hurricane21 Guest

My apologies

CNC,

My apologies for the missing screws. I will beat my techs next chance I get. Please let me know of any other problems and we will take care of it immediately. I am heading to San Diego shortly for the opening of our first dealer so I will have Larry call you to discuss any problems.

Anyone in Southern CA interested check out MakerPlace.com they will have an Andrew 100W 48x36 and a Charley 80W 36x24 for demo and doing your work on.

CNC, thanks again for your purchase and let us know if you need anything.

John

WOW, already recieved a call this evening from a tech at Hurricane. Cant complain about that. Talk about fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane21 View Post
    CNC,

My apologies for the missing screws. I will beat my techs next chance I get.
    Well, you know the old forum saying. Pictures or it didnt happen

A length of 3mm wall silicon tube makes a great insulator, a tiny hole in the side will allow access to the screw to fix the contact on as well. To be honest covering the entire wire in a small bore / thick wall silicon tube works very well and saves touching the red line in the event of playing round in the back of the machine.

best wishes

Dave

Hurricane21 Guest

Pictures

Jason,

I have attached a picture per your request. I hope this doesn't need to happen often.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imgres.jpg  

What would be an acceptable tape to use to help center the beams. Mine did not come with any so I need to pick some up. Dont know if it really matters, but would prefer not to damage my mirrors. Going to do a search on it aswell.

Thanks

I tend to use a small square of clear acrylic, tape can spatter crud onto your mirrors when it burns.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolman View Post
    What would be an acceptable tape to use to help center the beams. Mine did not come with any so I need to pick some up. Dont know if it really matters, but would prefer not to damage my mirrors. Going to do a search on it aswell.

Thanks
    You might want to check/clean the mirrors and lens before you start... I found out the hard way that mine were covered in some sort of goo from the factory.

Well after looking at some of the pics that have been posted up of the autofocus attatchement, I went out to check my machine( still have to finish getting it all hooked up. Other part of my business has kept me from it, as this is my busiest time of year) and I did not recieve it either.

So I have to send another e-mail to Hurricane about this. Hopefully I will get these parts.

To be honest, not looking forward to have to hook another thing up on it, that should have already been there. The way its going, I am starting to be a little disappointed.

Hurricane21 Guest

follow up

CNCtooman,

I did not realize that you still have not had time to get the machine going. I will send out the autofocus tomorrow via UPS. We did have a few machines in the early days that did not have autofocus. An oversight at the time by manufacturer. We have since added the autofocus as an option. Oddly enough many customers seem to prefer to manually focus their jobs.

Let us know if you need anything else.

John

And another update

Well trying to get this machine finally hooked up with all that I have. Was working in the back and noticed another problem. One of the boards was barely hanging on by a screw. Wasnt connected in to the other board like it was supposed to, and one screw missing.

So now I have to go find a screw to fit. Really starting to regret at the moment purchasing it from Hurricane. Granted they have replied back quickly, but it has been nothing but one thing after another. It seems the machine was not inspected before being shipped out to make sure everything was with it. I am just a little dissappointed at the moment.

just keeps getting better.....not

Well made quite a bit of progress tonight. Was getting ready to put power to it, so went to find the power cord.

Guess what, yea not anywhere to be found. Seems to be a common theme with this machine I purchased.

Very dissappointed at this point. Should have checked everything over when I first opened it up. But with as busy as I was with my business, I just wanted to try and get the machine in the shop.

Hopefully no one else has this type of experience.

Well out tomorrow to find a cord with the correct plug to fit. Another expense out of my pocket, even though its minor, it is just another one,.

If it helps, any standard computer-style power supply cord should work. I replaced mine with a longer, heavier gauge one that I had on hand. Over the years, it seems I've accumulated a few dozen of them.

Daves quite right, any IEC standard connector will work

same here Dave,I have a bloody house full of the things (mostly US format ones that cant be used here as PSU suppliers always seem to send UK and US format)

best wishes

Dave

Well I now have power to the machine. So it's on to tweaking the mirrors and learning the Lasercut5.3 software.

Page 1 of 2 12