584,812 active members*
5,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Considering GibbsCAM with Haas and SolidWorks

Considering GibbsCAM with Haas and SolidWorks

Hi,

I am a complete newbie at CAM software. I have an R&D shop with two very experienced machinists that have been making great parts for me with a manual Hardinge lathe and a Bridgeport EZ track mill. I just took delivery of a Haas TM-1P mill and ST-10 lathe. I was thinking that we could do the programming conversationally, but that will not quite cut it for the mill.

Our products are not too complicated from a machining standpoint. They are blocks with holes and threads, valve seats and solenoid stems etc. There is no complicated surfacing. The design work is done on SolidWorks and NX (mostly SolidWorks). We already have solid models for all of the parts. the machinists know some G-code and we have a few guys that write code directly for production parts.

I want CAM software that I can run from the SolidWorks environment and not too hard to learn. GibbsCAM may do the trick, but it sounds like it is cheap to buy, but lacks support. From researching the Haas and SolidWorks websites I fond that:

Mastercam
    BobCAD-Cam
    Esprit

May also do the trick. Will GibbsCAM work for me? Any pros or cons on any of the above packages? Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Joe

bmwjoe
    Will GibbsCAM work for me?

It will work very well for you, & easiest to learn of the cam programs you have picked,

There support is also great, there sales people, reseller in your area will help you with anything you need, if he can't then you call Gibbs direct to get the information you need

Get them to come to your shop
    Mactec54

Hi
    Info your Parts are easy try open source
    Look at heeks or similar
    Cu
    Thomas

GibbsCAM has been great for me. This is the 3rd shop I've been in that uses it. The support here in the Houston, Texas area is fantastic. And like somebody else here already mentioned, you can go direct to them out in California if needed.

Yes, you can import your solidworks stuff directly... and HELL NO it is not cheap. My current company will not get the full 3D package because it's too expensive. I really WISH that I could work with solid models, but I do not think you'll need the full 3D package anyhow. Simply having the ability to import it & extract the geometry should be all you'll need to get some code.

Gibbs is "kind of" easy to learn, but it ain't no toy. It is a very powerful tool that can do very complicated work for you.

To my understanding, Bob's CAM is a low-level cheapy. I DO NOT KNOW THAT FOR A FACT THOUGH... apologies to any Bob's CAM folk out there, I am just repeating what others around here have said.

MasterCAM is pretty popular. It is very well established like Gibbs... perhaps to a higher degree even. I've never tried it, but it is certainly around. So there is a ton of knowledge out there. Now, I do have contact with a MasterCAM instructor if you do buy it & have a question.

Esprit is probably over-the-top. They are trying to establish themselves as the go-to CAM software for MTM's.

And to answer your big question: "will GibbsCAM work for me?"

There is no doubt in my mind. But the software is only the first part. Your post processor is the bottom line. This thing takes what GibbsCAM generates & converts it to EIA programs (G-code). If you do not have LEGIT guys that can write/edit these things for you, then forget it... pick another vendor in your area.

Whoever you go with... make them PROMISE you the support you'll need to get the post processors up & running like you need them. It takes a lot of time to do that. My vendor gives me 6 months of free support till I'm satisfied with the post. His computer science skills are pretty good. And that's on top of his great competence with the CAM software.

Hope you find something usefull outta all this --- Joe.B

I just installed HSMXpress a couple days ago. It's a free 2.5d machining addon for Solidworks. Their support so far has been pretty good, the userbase looks to be pretty good too. I can't say too much about it because I haven't used it much yet but the program is pretty easy to figure out and the few programs I've spit out so far have been fine.
    Just when you thought you had it all figured out, all hell breaks loose..

GibbsCAM will do anything you want it to do. I have the full 3D Mill / 2D Lathe package & use it with all of my Haas Mills & lathe (VF4, Mini Mill & TL2). I love this stuff. Yes it is expensive, but I also believe that you get what you pay for. If you have experienced machinists they will understand this. I do agree that if all you do is the 2D stuff for know then that is what I would start out with. You can also upgrade at a later date. The tech support is the best around here. Have a reseller in Ardmore, TN that is the BEST! I have also used MasterCam where I used to work & like their Lathe package very well. I have also TRIED to use & understand BobCad-Cam & couldn't, total waste of money & time in my opinion. Hope this helps some.

Why not use SolidCam with SolidWorks?
    Runar Holm, Norway
    www.maxmekker.com

I HAVE USED GIBBS FOR LATHE AND MILLS, AND I LOVE IT. I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE
    EASIST TO LEARN. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS LET ME KNOW JOE HANCE [email protected]

Just my 2 cents

The combination you described would work perfectly for you. You can start out with a basic Gibbs setup(for what your describing now)and then upgrade as needed as your parts become more increasingly intricate (and they will !!).SolidWorks is an excellent CAD program which translates into Gibbs great. Gibbs will run both mills and lathes great. As mentioned earlier, a good post is critical which Gibbs has been great to us in their service and post modifications. Our mods were minor preferencial changes. The supplied posts, which they used to give you one with each seat purchase, worked just fine. Good luck with your decision.
    :cheers:
    GC

Our company has been using Gibbs since 1986 when it was a Mac only product. It's easy to use and learn. You would not go wrong with GibbsCAM and like others have said, the support is great.
    Dave Fernholz
    Attitude is Everything-Winning Futures