585,567 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Missing Steps, Help

Hi,

I am working on a ProBotix V90, with Probotix 3 Axis Sidestep bi-polar drivers, running 280 oz in steppers, 4-wires. I am using EMC2 software and cutting the test pattern logo that is default with the software. My machine has begun missing steps both when I jog the axis, and when it runs the program. Any help troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by monte0930 View Post
    Hi,

I am working on a ProBotix V90, with Probotix 3 Axis Sidestep bi-polar drivers, running 280 oz in steppers, 4-wires. I am using EMC2 software and cutting the test pattern logo that is default with the software. My machine has begun missing steps both when I jog the axis, and when it runs the program. Any help troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Try to lower you acceleration. If that doesn't work lower your rapids speed.

OK, thank you. I will try some things with lowering the accel and speeds. I already tried lowering the speed. But I will see what lowering the accel does.

Quote Originally Posted by monte0930 View Post
    Hi,

You may be able to get more specific help from those who have the exact
    same setup on the yahoo support group....

Fireballcnc : FireBallCNC

If you don't get a quick answer, keep trying. Lots of people run the
    very same setup.

(I'm not familiar enough with EMC2 myself....)

John

Thanks for the help so far, I slowed down the max speed to 100in/min and set the max accel at 45in/s^2 now only the y-axis stutters when running the program? any idea what could cause this?

I suggest you lower speed to 40-50 in/min and acceleration to about 20% of that and run a test. If that works, increase the speed/acceleration until you get missed steps again then back off about 20%.

Don

I also have been using the drivers set at full step and half step. I see that they can go down to 1/8 step, so I think i will try this. From what I understand, micro-stepping is they way most people are going. Still learning though, I will try going down to 1/8th step and see how that helps.