584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5M never lights READY LED

I have a Fanuc 5M on a Mazak Micro Center. When I turn the NC on the contactors (MCC) in the drives click for a 1/2 a second then turn off. I have no alarms on the board LED's or Display (MDI/DPL unit).

The computer seems to be doing its thing. I can go to DGN and see all the INPUTS and OUTPUTS, which all seem to be right for operation.

Not sure if the servoes are supposed to latch the MCC's or the NC?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Darek

Please let me jump into your thread since I have the same problem.

I have a Mori Seiki SL-3 with fanuc 5T.

In my machine after I hit the ON button on the back cabinet, it used to turn the front panel on and there is this led under the turret index selector that is supposed to be on; after that I just had to hit CONTROL ON and I was ready to go.

Now I have the same problem you have, I can not turn CONTROL ON.

There is this signal called PRDY2 and is located on the main board, top left, rigth besides PRDY1, both of them have to have 24 VDC otherwise, well, our problem. At this time I only have PRDY1 with 24 VDC.

This signal comes from the servo drives and I think both of them have to produce their PRDY2 signal (but that is just a guess). I do not know if the drives have to become hot after you hit the back ON button, but in my case is not happening. You mention your drives' MCCs turn on and off, maybe you have a problem with the voltage being suplied to the MCCs.

Anyway if you or any reader find the solution pleas let us know.

I hope this help you a bit, maybe find the solution and help me back. If I fix it I'll let you know.

jolulank

Anyone ever solve this? I have the same issue with a Fanuc 5T.

In my case it was the main power supply. The power supply was not actually bad, but the connectors were. A lot of cold solder joints, please check every connector on power supply as well as in every PCB the lines go to, that was it!

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by DaOne View Post
    Anyone ever solve this? I have the same issue with a Fanuc 5T.

One big question... are both PRDY1 and 2 showing 24 volts or just PRDY1?

I did not have 24 VDC on PRDY2.

It took me a long time to find out it was the power supply because I checked the voltages and all seemed rigth if I just checked them quick, finally I took my time checking each voltage and it seems like the 5V signal (there are 2 signals, 5V and 5V R, or something like that) and one of them did not stay steady. A deep look into the power supply using a magnifier lamp and I saw the problem.

I have a manual butt is a 5T not 5M, it should be mostly the same except for some changes in parameters but diagrams should be almost the same. It is a 200+ pages. I do not have it scanned but I can take it to some office depot or alike to get it on PDF file. Let me know if you are interested on it.

The manual number is B-51695 Fanuc 5T maintenance manual

Quote Originally Posted by jolulank View Post
    In my case it was the main power supply. The power supply was not actually bad, but the connectors were. A lot of cold solder joints, please check every connector on power supply as well as in every PCB the lines go to, that was it!

Hope it helps

Forgot to mention that the manual has a lot of electric diagrams as well as testing points where to connect your oscilloscope and tha actual image that you have to have.

Regards

jolulank

jolulank, what I meant was do you have +24 volts on PRDY1 and 2 now that the machine is fixed and working?

Yes, now I have 24VDC in both PRDY1 and PRDY2. Actually the problem started with the cnc being ON with both voltages on 24VDC then the control would just turn OFF and with PRDY2 gone

jolulank, what I meant was do you have +24 volts on PRDY1 and 2 now that the machine is fixed and working?

Good news. I got the control working! Turns out it was an estop condition. I had zero volts on the estop switch. It should be 24 volts. So somewhere in the in series 24 volt loop for the estop there is a broken connection or stuck switch. I bypassed everything but the actual estop switch and now it boots up. I can now home the machine, jog the servos, actuate the tail stock and open/close the chuck. I have yet to be able to start the spindle or actuate a tool change. Maybe you could give me a rundown on how to use these series 5 controls in MDI? This is the oldest machine I have ever used. Tomorrow I am gonna hunt down the broken estop connection.

That is good news.

I have never used the MDI in this control. Like you said, it is really old, it does not have a crt and it is hard to program. Instead I use a DNC system and work from a desktop computer. My machine is a Mori Seiki SL3 Lathe and I can rotate the spindle, change tools and move the axes in manual mode. If you want more information on the DNC system email me at [email protected]

Good news. I got the control working! Turns out it was an estop condition. I had zero volts on the estop switch. It should be 24 volts. So somewhere in the in series 24 volt loop for the estop there is a broken connection or stuck switch. I bypassed everything but the actual estop switch and now it boots up. I can now home the machine, jog the servos, actuate the tail stock and open/close the chuck. I have yet to be able to start the spindle or actuate a tool change. Maybe you could give me a rundown on how to use these series 5 controls in MDI? This is the oldest machine I have ever used. Tomorrow I am gonna hunt down the broken estop connection.

Hello,

I really would appreciate it, if anyone could send me a maintance manual and the wiring diagram as PDF for my FNUC 5T.
    I have the same problem like jolulank first, PRDY 1 shows 24V and PRDY 2 shows 0V.
    Hope you are going to answer me, anyways the last post has been over two years ago.

Thank you,
    Jannick