584,830 active members*
6,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 20 of 20 10181920

Re: Open Source V-Carving

Chris, I have an Sieg X3. Before I added an auxillary high speed spindle I used to cut wood with the main spindle at 200 rpm. It works OK you just need to take keep the feed rate lower than with a high speed spindle. (experiment on scrap wood)
    Link to video of my X3 cutting wood:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjOMwEOcJbQ

For engraving aluminum I use a half round engraving bit from Little Machine Shop
    Engraving Tools, Half Round, Individual Sizes 4318 - LittleMachineShop.com

The little engraving bits want a higher RPM too but I have always run mine at 2000 rpm.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

What a star you are - I'll get some half round bits and give it a try

I have a Dremel (rechargeable) and have seen someone mounted something similar on the side of the head, thought this was a good idea, they can
    run at a pretty high speed - if I can design some clamps/brackets

Converting a mill to CNC opens up lots of interesting possibilities - I have also considered changing the motor pulley to increase the speed (from 22 tooth to 45)
    but need to source the parts (I am in the UK)

Thanks for the help

Chris

Somehow I'm not understanding Flip Normals vs Add Box under V-Carve Settings.
    I'm doing inlay, so on the prismatic cut side Add Box seems recommended from the V-Carve Settings form, but I don't know what it is doing different.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sajurcaju View Post
    Somehow I'm not understanding Flip Normals vs Add Box under V-Carve Settings.
    I'm doing inlay, so on the prismatic cut side Add Box seems recommended from the V-Carve Settings form, but I don't know what it is doing different.
    You can use either 'Flip Normals' or 'Add Box' the only difference is that 'Add Box' adds the box. The box helps define an area that will be cleaned up around the design. If you don't use 'Add Box' the area cleaned up during the v-carve cleanup operations will be oddly shaped.

Thanks, I should have tried it out. Very clear now.

I'm using my shop vac as a vacuum holddown--it works pretty good, but I need to take lighter cuts to keep from pushing the work around.
    This current project is small, about 8x8", and doing a test run yesterday it got pushed off alignment, so today I am reducing the cut depth further. It doesn't seem to have reduce the cut depth as I expected.

Cut depth limit -0.625"

Prismatic
    Prismatic overcut -0.1"
    Vcarve finish pass 0.02"
    Vcarve max depth per pass -0.0625"

Despite the above settings, the first Vbit cut on the inlay was about 5/32", which seems like 0.1"+1/16". I was expecting this to be cut in several passes.
    What's up?

Scorch, I'm sending you the gcode via email, 1200 lines seems way too much to tie up the forum with.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sajurcaju View Post
    I'm using my shop vac as a vacuum holddown--it works pretty good, but I need to take lighter cuts to keep from pushing the work around.
    This current project is small, about 8x8", and doing a test run yesterday it got pushed off alignment, so today I am reducing the cut depth further. It doesn't seem to have reduce the cut depth as I expected.

Cut depth limit -0.625"

Prismatic
    Prismatic overcut -0.1"

Vcarve finish pass 0.02"
    Vcarve max depth per pass -0.0625"

Despite the above settings, the first Vbit cut on the inlay was about 5/32", which seems like 0.1"+1/16". I was expecting this to be cut in several passes.
    What's up?

Thanks for sending the g-code. Having the file always helps clarify things.

Unfortunatly the file you sent does not support your statements above. The cuts in the g-code you sent start at .0625 then step down to final depth of 0.163.

Here are the max depths for each pass from the file you sent.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Scorch, my apologies. The file I sent was the updated file from my Windows laptop, where it was created. I moved it to my Linux box in the shop, copying a bunch of files from the USB drive. I said "replace all", but it doesn't seem to have done that. The cut was done with the old file.

Obviously something isn't right in my description--I will move the files again and verify the updates this time.
    Either Linux didn't update the files, or when I copied them onto the USB drive it didn't work. Most likely user error, though I don't see where.

Thanks very much, sorry to bug you.

I will be posting about my inlay project, assuming at least somewhat successful completion!

Steve

A video rerun to add context to next post
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

A few question for anyone making inlays with f-engrave V1.65 or at least a version newer than V1.50.
    I followed Scorch's inlay video just blindly plugging in the same numbers instead of thinking things through. The previews shown in f-engrave should have been a warning the parts wouldn't mate.
    Q#1, If the base and the inlay are both cut to 0.1875" depth how can there be a 1/16" gap between them when they are clamped together ? Referring to the video here.
    Q#2 My settings are obviously not good. Is it only excess cut depth or a combination of things ? Screen shots supplied.
    Q#3 With V1.65 is the extra prismatic depth only meant to be applied to the inlay portion ? My base is cut much too wide.
    Attachment 407902Attachment 407904Attachment 407906Attachment 407908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f-engrave male inlay settings.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	407910

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Q#3 With V1.65 is the extra prismatic depth only meant to be applied to the inlay portion ? My base is cut much too wide.
    The answer is yes and that also answers Q#1. If I had watched the video on youtube (instead of embedded) the answer is in the comments.
    This is looking more reasonableClick image for larger version. 

Name:	cnczone.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	407958

Looks like you have it figured out. I hope it turns out good for you this time.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

For an experimental piece not horrible ! If I had expected this I would have used a better tool to separate the pieces to avoid gouging and burning.
    With better clamping and maybe a bit of touch up it would have been a keeper. This software continues to impress.
    Thanks so much
    Attachment 408014

HI,

Would it be possible to make it more commercially viable through alternations.
    https://www.valuelabs.com

Page 20 of 20 10181920