584,802 active members*
4,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 20 31112131415

Re: Open Source V-Carving

OIC.

The size is determined by the first font property, Text height --- the text is set at that size, then the over-all size is displayed in the bottom status bar.

Thanks for your patience --- I've got it now. Thanks for the support and the program! Aside from a minor glitch w/ work-holding it allowed me to make a quite nice sign very quickly.

I don't suppose you'll be able to do SVG import?

I have no plans to add SVG reading to F-Engrave. Inkscape can be used to convert SVG files to DXF so they can be read by F-Engrave. There are a few tutorials around the net on how to perform the conversion to DXF.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Looks like I haven't been anouncing new versions here like I usually do. Here is a catchup post (including a release I made today)

Changes in Version_1.34
    - Eliminated G91.1 code when arc fitting is disabled. When arc fitting is disabled the code (G91.1) is not needed and it may cause problems for interpreters that do not support that code (i.e. GRBL / ShapeOko).
    - GRBL / ShapeOko users should use the settings discussed here Using F-Engrave with GRBL. See the F-Engrave manual for details on how to save these setting from F-Engrave session to session using a config.ngc file.

Changes in Version_1.35
    - Fixed importing of ellipse features from DXF files. Ellipse end overlapped the beginning of the ellipse.
    - Fixed saving long text to .ncg files. Long text was truncated when a .ngc file was opened.

Changes in Version_1.36
    - Fixed saving problem created in v1.35.

Changes in Version_1.37
    - Added logic to ignore very small line segments that caused problems v-carving some graphic input files.

Download: F-Engrave (V1.37)
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Scorch,

On my machine v1.36 loads in less than 3 seconds, but v1.37 takes right about 90 seconds.

Should we be expecting this longer load time?

I've timed them both several times now with consistent results.

---------------------------------

Different subject:

Did you ever get with Alan on the ball engrave app he'd developed.
    (I sent a couple of emails in the past but didn't hear from either of you)

Quote Originally Posted by Vogavt View Post
    On my machine v1.36 loads in less than 3 seconds, but v1.37 takes right about 90 seconds.
    Should we be expecting this longer load time?
    For me V1.37 loads in the same amount of time as V1.36. The changes were minimal so I wouldn't expect any difference in load time between the two versions.

Did you ever get with Alan on the ball engrave app he'd developed.
    No, I never talked to Alan. His project (mapping g-code to a spherical surface) was interesting, but If I were to implement that feature (in G-Code Ripper) it would easier/faster to start from scratch. Rather than try to convert code from another programming language.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by scorch View Post
    For me V1.37 loads in the same amount of time as V1.36. The changes were minimal so I wouldn't expect any difference in load time between the two versions.
    I rebooted with no change in load time. I re-unzipped the 1.37 file and still get the long load times.

Anyone else seeing this? Not the end of the world for me, but if others are having issues they might think something was hung up and exit out early (which is why I posted my issue here).

Odd....

Hey Scorch,

Thank you for the option to scale DXF to 100%. That is a great help. The second part of the request I have is to place the 0,0 origin based on the actual DXF geometry, rather than relative to the geometry's bounding box as it is now. I have a couple of odd-shaped pieces to v-carve (wedding cake knife and server) and have drawn their outlines in CAD and then laid out the engraving relative to those outlines. If I include the outline in the DXF for positioning, F-Engrave takes the outline as part of the engraving artwork (even if it is on a different layer than the actual engraving artwork). I've tried putting points at the corners of the bounding box of the piece (which is larger than the bounding box of the artwork) but F-Engrave complains about the point entities. I'd like to be able to work from the same DXF to machine the pockets for the pieces in my spoilboard and also the engraving so the positioning is exact, but can't see a way to do that now.

Is there a workaround you could suggest (short of just eyeballing the thing)? Or could you enable a way to place the 100% DXF in its natural coordinates?

BTW 1.37 loads quickly for me on Win7-64.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,
    Thanks for your report on your V1.37 load time.

I thought I had changed the default zero position to the imported zero when the scale is set by scaling the input dimensions. I see now that I did not do that. Thanks for the reminder. I will look at it tonight.

Vogavt,
    I am not sure why your load times are so long. Do you have a config file setup that is loading an image file? As a trouble shooting step you could try temporarily removing any config file you have setup.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

double post.

Deleted my 1.37 folder, deleted the 1.37 zip file, re-downloaded the zip and extracted again.

Still not seeing any speedy launching.

WinXP Pro, SP3, 1 gig ram.

v1.36 still opening in just about 2 seconds.

v1.37 still opening in just about 90 seconds, using default configuration. Only change made later was the font directory location but that was after the long load time anyway so that shouldn't be an issue.

Dunno... not a big deal really but I just wanted to be sure the correct code is getting generated when needed, i.e., if something odd is not being handled correctly by its launching, would it effect the programs output.

No, I didn't even know I could load an image on startup.
    Still loving it though...!!!

If you have a image file open in F-Engrave when you make your config file F-Engrave will try to open the image every time you startup.

I have no idea why it is taking so long to load for you.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

I have never saved a G-Code file as "config.ngc" as instructed in the manual on your site.
    I created one, in text mode and closed f-engrave and relaunched. Still taking the same time to load as before.
    I even tried to massage the open f-engrave with various "compatibility settings" under the properties of the exe with no changes in load time.

I've still got v1.36 in a separate folder and will use it instead. If I get into an issue where the tweak for v1.37 was needed, I'll just load it instead of v1.36.

Don't worry about it. Seriously...

I uploaded a new version that keeps the DXF file origin location the same if the image height is set by percentage and the origin is set to default.

F-Engrave V1.38

(I didn't do anything to fix the potential load time issue for Vogavt but who knows this version may work better...)
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

No joy. Disabled antivirus and still didn't help.

Will look at it again later and see if I can figure something out. Don't fret over it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the quick update, Scorch! Import works perfectly on my test files.

Randy

Vogavt, Could you try re-unzipping and running version 1.36 in a different folder? It would be interesting to see if a different copy of 1.36 would still open fast for you.

I don't mean to bother you but I can't test solutions to a problem I can not replicate. I am worried other people might have the same problem.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Will do in the morning.

Will do in the morning.

help me

For me, 1.38 loads in less than 3 seconds on XP Pro 64 SP2.

Randy

@remon ??

@others,
    So after I'd retired for the evening yesterday, I began thinking about Scorch's request. For the past three hours this morning I've done some digging.
    First off, installed v1.36 to Desktop (Avast complained and performed a DeepScan on the executable) and then v1.36 opened quickly.
    I then installed v1.38 to Desktop (Avast also complained and performed a DeepScan on the executable) and then v1.38 OPENED QUICKLY!! Whoot!

For the techies:
    I have 4 hard disks on this PC, years of work related and family stuff. Anyway, two of those drives are removable media, FAT32 drives, call them Drive E & Drive F. The other 2 drives are NTFS drives, we'll call them Drive C & Drive D.

My first issue with v1.37 was on Drive F. Since MicroSoft no longer supports XP and subsequently Microsoft Essentials Security (MES), I was forced back in April to abandon MES and chose anther type of security, hence Avast came into play. Well it appears that Avast isn't configured to "DeepScan" executables when they're created on removable media. I've been looking this morning to find out how. I did find I can scan removable media on demand but it doesn't seem to know that the file has had a DeepScan performed on it when I go to launch it afterwards, i.e., the long load time comes into play again.

I verified this by extracting v1.38 to Drive D (remember, NTFS) and once again Avast complained, performed a DeepScan on the executable and then v1.38 OPENED QUICKLY!!

The still lingering oddity here is the v1.36 installed on Drive F prior to moving to Avast opens quickly, as if Avast doesn't care about previously installed exe's.
    So, I could disconnect from the internet, uninstall Avast, install v1.38 to Drive E or Drive F, reinstall Avast and see if it cares for certain.

I don't intend to do that just yet as I have more pressing things to do today since I now have the latest, fast loading version of the ever popular, beloved, and fabulous F-Engrave!!

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to be thorough and hope this may help others down the road.
    Bottom line, thank you MicroSoft for making my day; nothing like being an abandoned working man with a so-called antiquated operating system and watching you cater to the new social media types OS's.

I guess it truly is "Go Big or Go Home".

(stepping off my soapbox now)

Page 13 of 20 31112131415